Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading not long after the XD first came out that the slides were prone to rusting, and someone told me that the finish has been changed. Is this true? I know everything says they have a "Melonite" finish. What the heck is Melonite?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
quote:
"Melonite™ and Melonite QPQ™ are thermochemical processes intended for the case hardening of iron based metals. These processes are categorized as molten salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing. During these processes, nitrogen, carbon, and small amounts of oxygen are diffused into the surface of the steel, creating an epsilon iron nitride layer (e - FexN).
A degraded form of this nitride layer (gamma prime: g' - Fe4N) is obtained during plasma or gas nitriding. The nitride layer is composed of two principle zones. Zone 1, called the compound or "white" layer, extends to a case depth of ~0.0004" to 0.0008". The compound layer is porous, which lends to the lubricity of the finish, and hard (~700HV to 1600HV). Zone 2, called the diffusion zone, extends to a case depth of ~.004" to 0.008".
In addition, small quantities of substrate carbon are pulled from deeper within the substrate toward the surface. The diffusion zone demonstrates a decreasing gradient concentration of carbon and particularly nitrogen as the gradient extends deeper into the surface of the substrate. This property yields a tough outer surface or shell, yet alloys the material to retain ductility, thereby lending to the overall strength of the material.
Resulting properties from these chemical and structural composition changes are increased surface hardness, lower coefficient of friction, enhanced surface lubricity, improved running wear performance, increased sliding wear resistance, and enhanced corrosion resistance. Naturally, the alloy of the substrate will influence which properties are principally affected and to what extent they are affected."

·
Registered
362 Posts
So... how do you know what finish you have? I bought my XD40 Tactical about 2 years ago. Black / Black. Don't know what finish my slide has. Is there any way to tell? Mine does not have any rust on it, but I have to admit that I don't shoot it nearly as often as I would like to.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
So... how do you know what finish you have? I bought my XD40 Tactical about 2 years ago. Black / Black. Don't know what finish my slide has. Is there any way to tell? Mine does not have any rust on it, but I have to admit that I don't shoot it nearly as often as I would like to.

All the best,
Glenn
If you give Springfield a call, they can tell you which finish your pistol has.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Service and Tactical were made in 2007, and my sc in 2008, so I assume I'm good to go? I found another thread that said they switched in 2006-2007.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I remember reading not long after the XD first came out that the slides were prone to rusting, and someone told me that the finish has been changed. Is this true? I know everything says they have a "Melonite" finish. What the heck is Melonite?
That was back when they still had hieroglyphics on the slide lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts