Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started doing local "move and shoot" competitions with my XD9 Tactical. Basically I have defensive ammo and cheap practice ammo (which is what I use) on hand. Given this isnt a full up IDPA-like competition, and I dont reload, is there any value in using higher grade ammo for the move and shoot?

Just interested to see for those that dont reload, do you use something other than what you "blink with" for the competitions.

Ammo aside, my biggest problem so far hasnt really been accuracy, although that certainly could be improved, but speed of target acquisition. Seems like it takes me forever to get the sight picture for the first shot.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Cheap practice ammo is just fine no need to use expensive defensive ammo for gaming. Slow and smooth is how you go faster. It will take time and practice. Work on your stance and grip it will help you get back on target faster. The trick is to track you sights as the gun recoils and pull the trigger as soon as the sights are back on target. Work on calling your shots.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Seems like it takes me forever to get the sight picture for the first shot.
Thats the kind of stuff you learn at home with an unloaded weapon. Dry fire practice includes much more than just pulling the trigger on an unloaded weapon. I can't tell you the number of times I have worked on draw from holster, index, first sight picture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I shot my third match yesterday and let me tell you, don't use military surplus. I shoot an xd9 also and it don't like this ammo. I had enough of my regular ammo for about half the match and I had some old military ammo that I figured I would shoot up and it was a train wreck. One of the 'pro' guys told me that the primer was to hard in the military ammo for my pistol. My gun will run through my regular ammo. I like the remington 250 count box that you can get at Academy. Also the Winchester White Box from Wal-Mart does good.

hope this helps

kenken:cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Any of you competition guys use your reload ammo? if so what would be your data load with 9mm/124gr FMJ-RN/Wolf SPP with Titegroup? Thanks gents...

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Any of you competition guys use your reload ammo? if so what would be your data load with 9mm/124gr FMJ-RN/Wolf SPP with Titegroup? Thanks gents...
Used to run Precision Delta 124 gr FMJ loaded at 1.140 and with 4.0 gr of TG. 135 PF out of a XD9 tactical. Gotta be careful with TG 'cause it's easy to overcharge and there's so little powder in the case that it's a little easier to overlook a squib. Really gotta pay attention to detail.

A lot of guys I shoot with use the cheapest ammo available for competitions if they don't reload. Wolf seems to be the choice of most.

As mentioned above dry fire practice will help with sight acquisition. Fiber optic sights go on all my comp guns after running 500 rds or more through them. My old eyes pick up the fiber optics much better than the factory 3 dot system. Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
While I believe in the "practice like you play" when it copmes to things like IDPA, there is ony a slight benefit to using your actual carry ammo or reloaded equiv. I would run one stage w/ the carry load to see if it affects your shooting. There is a reason so many guys reload the min PF for things like IDPA, it's easier to shoot fast. It's why I shoot CDP division w/ 45acp. Tough to game that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts