Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to purchase my first hand gun and it will be either the 9mm xdm 3.8 compact or the 3.8. Except for the compact being about a quarter of an inch shorter, what's the difference? Does the compact come with both 13+1 mag and 19+1? Is that the only other difference between the two guns? Smaller mag for concealed carry and larger one for range shooting, etc.? If that is the only difference, wouldn't that make the compact more versatile? What about accuracy between the two guns?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The only differance between the two guns is that the grip is probably a good inch and a half shorter, making it easier to conceal.

My XDm .40 compact came with flush fit 11 round magazine (9mm is 13), and one full size magazine (16 .40, 19 9mm) with a grip extension (a plastic sleeve to make it look, and feel feel like a full size grip).

Literally everything else about the guns are the same except for that inch of plastic.

I hope I answered in such a way that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
And if you're not actually planning to C/C, the 3.8 is fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with the 3.8 Compact for CCW. You may not want to carry now, but later on down the road you may. Accuracy is outstanding. You can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I carry the 3.8 concealed every day with no problems.

I have an XD40SC and I found that most of the time I carried it with the extended mag. So when it came to getting the 3.8 I just went with the regular size.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like both the XDM 3.8 and the 3.8 compact. I carry the 3.8 9mm compact with a Pearce grip extender. The full grip XDM 3.8 is my home defense hand gun for 19+1 rounds mounted with a TLR-3 light. The XDM 3.8 compact seems to be a smart choice for the most bang for the buck since one can use the extended grip extension if you want the 19 round capacity. The compact has the best of both worlds, although the grip extension wiggles around a bit on mine when I use the 19 rd mag at the range.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
glad the OP put the question out there... I am looking at getting rid of my Glock 23 and picking up either an XDM40c or XDsc40 ..... I love my XDM so may lean that way. Good info guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts