Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the Base Exchange today ordering my XD .45 ACP with 5 inch barrel and the lady couldn't find the tactical. So I just ordered the XD .45 ACP with 5 inch barrel in black. What is the difference between it and the tactical?? Is it just that the tactical says tactical on the slide and nothing more?? If so I guess I won't be tacticool..
Thanx from a noobie to XD's...

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 5" model is the tactical model, so that's what you have coming. Enjoy, I think you'll really like it, especially if you like the 1911 "feel" of a gun.

·
Premium Member
127,768 Posts
I bet ya like it. I do mine!

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Tactical, compact, service, subcompact, makes it confusing as hell! I BELEIVE, my gun is a service, compact .45 ACP. Compact refers to the grip length, and service refers to the barrel. Here's how I understand it:

Service = 4" barrel
Tactical = 5" barrel
Compact = short grip
Subcompact = 3" barrel, and short grip

Now here's where it gets confusing. The .45s have a different naming scheme for the options if you click on XD .45 ACP or compact on their website. They refer to them by barrel length instead of tactical and service, but they come up with the same part #. If you click on service or tactical, they show ONLY standard grip guns in all calibers (including .45 ACP), again, the part numbers are the same under multiple listings. You can only see the compacts under compact, or XD .45 ACP. Something I think is totally retarded is they only offer compacts in .45 ACP! Too dang confusing, and completely disorganized. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Was at the Base Exchange today ordering my XD .45 ACP with 5 inch barrel and the lady couldn't find the tactical. So I just ordered the XD .45 ACP with 5 inch barrel in black. What is the difference between it and the tactical?? Is it just that the tactical says tactical on the slide and nothing more?? If so I guess I won't be tacticool..
Thanx from a noobie to XD's...
Dangit! What BXs sell firearms? Mine are LAME!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Barksdale AFB sells guns. Just started last year. This will be my 3rd gun I have bought from them. Bought an H&K USPc in .40, and a Springfield Armory M1A from them. They have pretty good prices. I have two sons in the Navy and they tell me that the Marine Exchanges also sell firearms.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some Marine Corps Exchanges do sell firearms. I will be purchasing a XD 45 when I return from Iraq around May time frame but still debating if I want the service or tactical. Either way I will have a new XD when I return. The exchange makes it nice due to the purchase is also tax free.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I always refer to mine as a 4" barrel. They should drop the silly names and just stick to saying the barrel length. Even people who have the guns cross up the terminology. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
All gun manufactures have PITA names for each of their guns. Ever looked at Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, Taurus, Ruger, etc.???? All of them have their own unique product names!!! If you ask me SA keeps it pretty simple with their XD names but that's just me!!! To the OP congrats on your acquisition of a 45 Tac. That was my first XD, I loved it!!!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
yeah springfields is alot easier to understand... subcompact 3" Service 4" Tac 5" and then you have your compacts...

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
So, stick with the goofy naming scheme, but make it CONSISTANT. Instead, they change it up for the compact models refering to them ONLY by barrel length. Then having both a compact, and .45 ACP section on the website makes no sense. I dunno, the website certainly doesn't help the confusion.:confused:

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
So, stick with the goofy naming scheme, but make it CONSISTANT. Instead, they change it up for the compact models refering to them ONLY by barrel length. Then having both a compact, and .45 ACP section on the website makes no sense. I dunno, the website certainly doesn't help the confusion.:confused:
Thier website has always been a mess, somebody there wets thier pants for flash.
The naming scheme is fine, just have to get used to it. Million times better than glock, Sig, HK etc, don't even start on S&W wheelies

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was wondering the same thing since I have the 4" 45, now I know and knowing is half the battle. Also, I got my XD on base here at Pendleton, not sure how much of a better deal it was instead of going out in town. Sure I didn't have to pay tax on it but from what I've seen the XD's out in town are a little cheaper so it probably would be about the same price either way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey MarineDoc,
You are correct on the pricing. I bought my XD Tac for 563.00 from the base exchange and probably could have gotten it cheaper on the outside. My purchase was due to my Military Star Card not having enough on it.. HA HA..

·
Registered
462 Posts
The reason SA has both a 45 and Compact page on their website is because the Compact came out after the 45. Also the 45 page includes the .45GAP, shown as the 45LE, for Law Enforcement, which is NOT available in either a Compact or SubCompact form.

Don't know about some of the other guns listed but Sigs are easy to understand. The P220 is the large frame, now only available in .45ACP. The P226 is basically the same sized gun only available in the smaller calibers and, therefore, a double stack. The P229 is the compact version of the P226 and the P239 is the sub compact. The P220 is the only model available in 45ACP but does come in smaller Compact and Carry forms.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Tactical, compact, service, subcompact, makes it confusing as hell! I BELEIVE, my gun is a service, compact .45 ACP. Compact refers to the grip length, and service refers to the barrel. Here's how I understand it:

Service = 4" barrel
Tactical = 5" barrel
Compact = short grip
Subcompact = 3" barrel, and short grip

Now here's where it gets confusing. The .45s have a different naming scheme for the options if you click on XD .45 ACP or compact on their website. They refer to them by barrel length instead of tactical and service, but they come up with the same part #. If you click on service or tactical, they show ONLY standard grip guns in all calibers (including .45 ACP), again, the part numbers are the same under multiple listings. You can only see the compacts under compact, or XD .45 ACP. Something I think is totally retarded is they only offer compacts in .45 ACP! Too dang confusing, and completely disorganized. :rolleyes:
Hey, they just couldn't use a protocol eveybody already understood!

Subcompact always has a 3 inch bbl and a 9or10 rd mag + 1 full size mag and is only available in 9mm and .40S&W

Compact only refers to the .45 ACP. that is 5" tall with a 10 rd mag and 5.75 with a 13 round (same height as 45 service or tactical) and comes in 4" or 5" versions.

Service is always 4" bbl and a standard mag capacity (16, 12,13) (9mm, .40,.45). Comes in all calibers made.

Tactical is always 5" bbl and a standard mag capacity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts