Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know the difference between the 2 rounds? .40cal and 10mm
whats the difference in them because visually they look fairly identical but maybe side by side in my hand i could tell more of a difference

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Think of the 10mm as a .40 S&W magnum...except the 10mm came first.

From my understanding you can reload both cartridges with the same dies, they use similar bullets, and are the same diameter.

There's at least once revolver chambered in both 10mm and .40.
ricbs dies are marked 10mm/40s&w

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I've shot 40 S&W out of my 10mm just to test it.. worked fine. One shot only.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
FYI I don't suggest anyone goes and tries to shoot a .40 out of a 10mm gun...it won't chamber correctly and you'll either push the cartridge too far up in the chamber (probably not bad, shouldn't even fire), or it won't headspace in the chamber and WILL fire, but the case will not be securely in the chamber.

SO DON'T DO IT!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Hmmm, I thought they were virtually the same. Good information to know.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Think of the 10mm as a .40 S&W magnum...except the 10mm came first.

From my understanding you can reload both cartridges with the same dies, they use similar bullets, and are the same diameter.

There's at least once revolver chambered in both 10mm and .40.
All correct, with one exception ... The .40 is a wussified 10mm :p

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yep, think 38sp vs 357mag. The only diff. is the case length AND the 10mm uses a large pistol, the 40S&W a small.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
To lay it out completely

10mm uses large pistol primers
40S&W uses small pistol primers

10mm has a SAAMI maximum pressure of 37,500psi
40S&W has a SAAMI maximum pressure of 35,000psi

Both fire a 0.400inch diameter bullets (0.401inch cast bullets)
10mm has a typical bullet weight range of 135gr to 220gr
40S&W has a typical bullet weight range of 135gr to 180gr

Case dimension are very similar with the 10mm being 0.142 inches longer. Specifics below in dimensioned drawing.

10mm has mystical powers :p
40S&W is shorter and weaker :p

There was a very short lived 10mm Auto Magnum (more info PDF file) but as far as I know only one gun from AMT was every chamber for it. Its case was a lengthened 10mm Auto case that was 1.255 inches long. It was substantially more gun than the 40S&W or 10mm Auto.

mcb

·
Registered
1 Posts
The differences between the 40cal. and the 10mm is this the 40cal. is 1.135" and the 10mm is 1.260" also the case length differ as much by 0.142 inches approximately 1/7th of an inch. The thickest part of the 10mm case web is 0.4252 inches or 0.03mm more than the 40cal. 0.4241 inches. I dont know if this helps any but I thought I would add my two cents. I have several different sizes and calibers from a 380auto, 9mm for my wife and a 357sig, 40cal, 10mm and a 45 all except one is a sa xd. I like shooting them all bc Iam a handgun shooting competitor but the 10mm wares me out a little and the ammunition is a little pricy so is the 357sig but I order mine direct I dont go through a store bc Iam also a riffle long range shooting competitor so I need quite a bit of amo. I was reloading but that got expensive and time comsuming bc of all the different sizes and loads anyways if u can shoot both and see which one you like best and feel comfortable with and can group the best which ever that one is buy it..

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The same, no, sim, yes. Much like the 38sp & 357mag, the 10mm is a longer caed version with identical bullets. HOWEVER, the cases are NOT hte same. The 10mm takes a LP, the 40 a SP. The 10mm brass also has a thicker case head. They load the same, can use the same dies as noted. The 10mm is the 40 magnum.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Sort of like the difference between .357 SIG and .357 Magnum. Sure, the bullets are the same diameter, but the similarities pretty much stop there.

For your reference:

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
anyone know the difference between the 2 rounds? .40cal and 10mm
whats the difference in them because visually they look fairly identical but maybe side by side in my hand i could tell more of a difference
This chart should prove to be very helpful...

:D

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I was reloading but that got expensive and time comsuming bc of all the different sizes and loads anyways if u can shoot both and see which one you like best and feel comfortable with and can group the best which ever that one is buy it..
More expensive than shooting factory ammo? I think not.:shock:

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
More expensive than shooting factory ammo? I think not.:shock:
It got too expensive to waste his time on. Ammo is the same price it was 20 years ago, we all make more money, and components are more than twice what they cost the same time frame ago. Was well worth it back in the day, not so much now.

I know you are content with range scrounged brass of questionable history and spending even more time in the alchemy of melting free tire weights to get down to $1.70 a box of ammo. I dont have the time for that as do many others. Reality is reloading IS more expensive than it used to be while factory ammo has stayed cheap....

·
Registered
93 Posts
The difference, as I see it, is that Springfield makes an XD(m)-40, and not an XD(m)-10. This is a problem that ought to be corrected.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It got too expensive to waste his time on. Ammo is the same price it was 20 years ago, we all make more money, and components are more than twice what they cost the same time frame ago. Was well worth it back in the day, not so much now.

I know you are content with range scrounged brass of questionable history and spending even more time in the alchemy of melting free tire weights to get down to $1.70 a box of ammo. I dont have the time for that as do many others. Reality is reloading IS more expensive than it used to be while factory ammo has stayed cheap....
Please B, let's not get into this again, pure internet fantasy my friend. There is no cheap Russian 357sig & I can reload it for 1c/rd more than cheap Russian 9mm. SO I don't see how that isn't worth anyones time, even for guys making more than $100hr & that isn't most of us. Let's review:
1K rds from GA (remanuf) = $300
1K rds handloaded w/ MG bullets = $125 (very high quality FMJ)
Savings of $175, total time in reloading, we'll go slow & say 2hr = $87.50/hr. A pretty good hourly cash rate IMO. One would have to make what, $150/hr gross to come up w/ the $87 net to buy the ammo? Yeah, not worth the time for sure as I know just about everyone in the USA is making that.:rolleyes:
B is a great guy, but some place back in 1977 he got stuck in a time warp & can't seem to get out. Math is also not his strong suite, why I did it for him, I think he lost his slide rule.:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts