Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize it this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't find any threads that covered this with the search. All I found were threads about what holster to buy, etc...

Anyway, it looks like CC will be passed this year in Wisconsin, where I live. I want to apply for the permit and exercise my right to CC if/when the bill passes.

However, I don't think my family or friends will approve of this. And I'm sure the issue would come up eventually if I were to CC often. I did not grow up in a pro-gun family. No one in my family, that I know of, has hunted or owned a gun. I am the first. Neither have any of my friends. I spent half of my childhood in the country and then moved to the city, so I am comfortable around a wide "range" of people.

I, myself, have taken a hunter safety course when I was a teenager, and also have owned two handguns. The handgun I now own is a XD-9 service, and I love it. The handgun fear/mystique has long passed. I feel competent firing my gun and am only getting better. I also feel comfortable in following proper safety guidelines. I am also not the type to panic in a high-stress situation. Nothing shocks me or gives me the shakes. Now if someone engaged me with a deadly weapon, gun or otherwise, I am sure it would get my adrenaline flowing and my heart pumping, but I am also positive I could cooly and calmly rise to the occasion – I just have that personality type. I am not worried about it. But that's besides the point.

So, did anyone else encounter that "should I really do this" feeling when they first started to CC? How did you deal with it and what did you tell to your families, spouses and/or friends who did not support it? Did you lose any close relationships because of it? Thanks to anyone who decides to share.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was apprehensive at first.
I just strapped on the ol' Davis 380 (first gun) in a cheap nylon owb,threw a light button down over it and went.
The wife never even knew. Now I rarely go out without my XD40, sometimes I throw the Davis on, most times she dont even know. The onlyone that notices is my brother or an occational sheep.

·
Registered
566 Posts
great thing about conceal carry is that its CONCEALED. nobody should know youre carrying unless you want them to.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
The only one that notices is my brother or an occational sheep.
You and your brother hang out with occational(?) sheep? :confused:

great thing about conceal carry is that its CONCEALED. nobody should know youre carrying unless you want them to.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree...

To the OP, did it feel weird at first?
I guess it did, that was a long time ago..
But now it feels weird to not be carrying when I leave the house.;)
There is no need to let anyone know that you're licensed or carrying..
Keep it to yourself..

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
When I first started I felt like everyone was staring at me and somehow knew. It took me about a year of CCing to finally realize people just don't look, and if you were printing a bit, they think cell phone. Only gun guys think gun, and they won't care. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've been concealed carrying for almost six years. The first couple of times, it felt wierd because I wasn't used to having this heavy steel and lead hanging on my belt. I was also self-concious about whether someone could see it imprinting or sticking out of my clothing. I got over it after a short time. Now, I don't hardly even notice it. It feels like part of my body.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
This is a question you alone have to answer, and if you don't feel comfortable CC'ing then you probably shouldn't CC. The hardest thing is finding the proper weapon to carry and the right kind of holster to use for each person. If your spouse or family members are not comfortable with you CC'ing, then you need to do your education of them better. If you CC properly, few should know for certain that you are, they may suspect it but that's all and if your legal, then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses thus far, guys. Good stuff...

Carry for protection, not approval.

Isn't it legal to open carry in Wisconsin right now?

Why not start?
I agree, 100%. I would only CC for protection. I don't seek approval, at all. To be quite honest, if someone has a problem with it, I don't need them as a friend.

It is legal to open carry, but I would never consider it. As I stated in my original post, nobody does it. I have never seen one person open carrying. If someone did, especially in a big city like Milwaukee, it simply wouldn't go over. That, or people would just assume I was an off-duty cop or something. I would only open carry if I was in the woods and was using it for protection from animals. But in Wisconsin, there are really no animals really to be fearful of (bears, mountain lions, wolves, etc...).

This is a question you alone have to answer, and if you don't feel comfortable CC'ing then you probably shouldn't CC. The hardest thing is finding the proper weapon to carry and the right kind of holster to use for each person. If your spouse or family members are not comfortable with you CC'ing, then you need to do your education of them better. If you CC properly, few should know for certain that you are, they may suspect it but that's all and if your legal, then it doesn't matter.
I will most likely never tell any family members and simply not CC when around family. My mother and sisters will only rag on me about it and not understand. They don't need to know.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've been concealed carrying for almost six years. The first couple of times, it felt wierd because I wasn't used to having this heavy steel and lead hanging on my belt. I was also self-concious about whether someone could see it imprinting or sticking out of my clothing. I got over it after a short time. Now, I don't hardly even notice it. It feels like part of my body.
This. I was self-conscious for about a week, then once you realize you're doing a good job concealing, the feeling goes away.

Just don't get overconfident with your ability to conceal, and I still sometimes ask a family member to give me a once over before leaving the house.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You may feel weird at first, but that will quickly past. I don't know if you ever get to the place where you forget about it; I am always aware of the gun on my person, but it is a comfortable awareness.

As for you family; I would suggest looking up some crime statistics in your area, and if your family confronts you about carrying, then you can educate them on just how dangerous of an area you live in.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.