Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XDS owners, I'm sure many of you transitioned from a double stacker of some sort, what's the verdict? Is the slimness of a single stack worth trading in a sub-compact double stack? I've often wonder if the width, coupled with the holster, really makes a difference. What's your experience?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I got mine for summer/dressier carry when I couldn't easily conceal my normal EDC a CZ.

Coupled with my favorite kydex holster I do find the single stack easier to conceal.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Since I AM able to Front Pocket Carry pistols the size of the XD-S, PF-9, Shield, LC9, etc., being able to pocket carry is the main reason I switched.

If I need to carry IWB though, a Single-Stack is definitely more comfortable to carry. One of the main Debate Points in Double vs Single seems to be the number of rounds one feels comfortable with.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
my old edc was an xd40sc. great gun and still my winter carry. i like the xds durring the summer months because it really does disappear on your side while only wearing a tshirt. i used to carry the xdsc in the summer but it felt much more noticable and bulky than the xds.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
XDs is summer carry. The thinner single stack does make it easier to conceal with an IWB and untucked t-shirt.

XD40sc is still my cool weather carry.

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
Like others have said, the single stack is much easier to conceal and a little more comfortable. But my edc is still my Glock G30.

I carry the XDS sometimes as a bug or when I need to be much more discreet in carry.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
absolutely......i got rid of my XDM 9mm compact for this......granted that was an awesome gun, but here in hot ass FL i can wear much more comfortable clothing with the XDS (I.E basketball shorts) and it goes un noticed

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got mine for summer/dressier carry when I couldn't easily conceal my normal EDC a CZ.

Coupled with my favorite kydex holster I do find the single stack easier to conceal.
I was planning on doing the same thing (wearing an XDS9 in the summer while carrying my Gen3 Glock 19 in the fall, winter, & early spring. But then it dawned on me... most murders happen in the summer; right? In other words, why do I feel I need to be better armed in the cooler/colder months? If a single stack and an extra mag is good enough for summer carry—and if it's truly more easily concealed than a double stack—why not just sell my Glock 19 and use the money to buy a gun I can carry all year round no matter what I'm wearing?

Just for the record, I like the G19, but I don't love it. I'd rather a more ambi-friendly option because I shoot both left and right handed equally well (but I prefer shooting lefty).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I need to carry IWB though, a Single-Stack is definitely more comfortable to carry. One of the main Debate Points in Double vs Single seems to be the number of rounds one feels comfortable with.
True, but there are a lot of people who don't feel it offers an advantage IWB when compared to a Glock 26. In other words, maybe the allure of the single stack was a lot of hype, and that's what I'm trying to find out from people who switched over to it. I would definitely rather have my 15+1 rounds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my old edc was an xd40sc. great gun and still my winter carry. i like the xds durring the summer months because it really does disappear on your side while only wearing a tshirt. i used to carry the xdsc in the summer but it felt much more noticable and bulky than the xds.
excellent data point, thx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like others have said, the single stack is much easier to conceal and a little more comfortable. But my edc is still my Glock G30.

I carry the XDS sometimes as a bug or when I need to be much more discreet in carry.
I guess a G30 is thicker than a G19 or G26, so I imagine the benefits are even greater.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought both the xds 9 and xds 45. They are easier to carry than the Glock 26, though the G26 isn't completely outdone by the narrow width of the SA guns, the G26 is lighter and has a shorter grip.

However, the xdses have not won me over, yet anyway. The capacity is only a minor factor. The mushy triggers on the xdses is the main reason, along with my personal opinion that the G26 is a much more reliable gun.

The fact that the xds is single stack and my generally favorable impression of SA are what got me to try the xds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It makes a big difference. I can carry my XDs IWB pretty much anytime with any clothing. With my XDm 3.8 Compact, even though it's not a much larger profile, it's thick enough to be uncomfortable on my hip for extended periods - especially when driving, etc. I usually carry the XDm in a shoulder rig, but that means I need clothing to cover it. It's a great solution for road trips, though. That's much more comfortable than even the XDs when driving.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Not an either/or thing.

I got my XDS45 to supplement my carry of XD40 or 1911.

I change my carry based on my location and attire.

This is my thought also..... I don't think I would get rid of my EDC double-stack , but having other options with a single-stack does come in handy.

Also, as another Florida resident, sometimes carrying the M&P9c or XDMc is just a bit too much during the hot summers and minimal clothing.

The Kahr CW40 and now a CW380 will fit that role as EDC lot more easily.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts