Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have to mess with it a little more, but here it is. The only down side was having to drill a hole in the frame.

The before video (you all know what this is anyway)

The after video

edit: sorry, videos are gone

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Well, I did "mess with it a little more", and it functions perfectly. Now I just have to test fire it. The trigger pull weight is still factory, I only "adjusted" the reset.

·
Registered
580 Posts
VERY interesting. i'm interested in knowing how you did it. just because i'd like to call myself an amateur smith...it would be nice to know this...at least in theory.

good job by the way.

8)

·
Registered
802 Posts
mike+p+ said:
Thanks! Well, I did "mess with it a little more", and it functions perfectly. Now I just have to test fire it. The trigger pull weight is still factory, I only "adjusted" the reset.
*cough* PRICE? *cough* :twisted:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Is the initial takeup the same? Looks great, Id love to get my wifes XD trigger like that without decreasing trigger weight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chrome, price for what?

Initial take up is the same as factory, me thinks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I get it, *cough* PRICE? *cough*.
How about *cough* on the cheap *cough*?

Firing pin block safety, check.
Trigger and grip safety, check.
Am I missing any?

·
Registered
802 Posts
mike+p+ said:
Oh, I get it, *cough* PRICE? *cough*.
How about *cough* on the cheap *cough*?

Firing pin block safety, check.
Trigger and grip safety, check.
Am I missing any?
Roger :) trigger work is might expensive around these parts :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the firing pin will drop (from trigger pull) even if the slide is back almost 5/16". Does that sound about right to you guys?

edit: I just want to be sure all is well before I test fire. At that point I'll be sure this actually works. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I finally fired it. I had time for only fifty rounds... fifty flawless, sweet shooting rounds. Double taps... no problem. It won't fire out of battery, at least no more than a stock XD would, at least from what I can tell.

Now for the good stuff imo.

Let's take a look at some of the XD internals. First, make sure the pistol is unloaded. :roll: Second, check again to make sure the pistol is unloaded. Third, do a double take three times. Now, take the slide off the frame. Stop for a second and marvel at the inner workings of the frame. It's a beautiful design.

Now, with the slide off the frame, hold the frame with your right hand, pointing at your left nipple. :lol: Seriously though. Engage the grip safety with your "main finger" and now press the trigger down with your thumb. With your left hand, press down on the nub on the trigger bar that sticks up above the frame (this happens when the slide cycles to the rear, or something). You should hear a click. Now you can slowly release the trigger until you hear a click, that is the point of reset. Now look what happens when you pull the trigger again. Notice how much rearward movement of the trigger there is (take up) before the sear (piece at the top rear of the frame) starts travelling down. That take up is the firing pin safety lever moving up to position. Now try holding the firing pin safety lever up while resetting and pulling the trigger. The take up is gone.

I wrote up some detailed instructions of what I did next, but how can I post THAT, if we aren't even allowed to view the XD armorer's manual?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
well you could always just send me a PM with the details... along with anyone who has the manual that might be willing to E-mail it to me. It would be nice to have around in emergencies.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Go ahead and post it. You aren't posting anyone elses' work, so there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here Ye! Here Ye! Ye Ole' Town Crier proclaims crappy by all!

Sorry, I just had to comment on SLCDave's avatar.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Lisa: How about town crier? You'd be great at that.

Homer: You think so?

Bart: Well, yeah, Dad, you're a big fat loudmouth and you can walk
when you have to.
Homer: You su-diddely-uck, Flanders! [grabs a bell from him]
Hear ye, hear ye! Ye olde town crier proclaimed crappy by all! Chooseth Homer Simpson, and he shalt rock thy world!

Wiggum: Good God, he is fabulous.

Skinner: Yes, he's embiggened that role with his cromulent performance.

Quimby: Top-notch criering, I admit, but the hat and bell belong to Ned Flanders, so no dice.

Ned: Oh, they're just family heirlooms. They shouldn't stand in the way of Homer taking my job.

Homer: Less chat, more hat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Two questions:

One, Where's the fife?

Two, Gimme the fife. :lol:

If you haven't seen that episode (fifty times, like me), then I apologize.

I need pics and diagrams to explain this "trigger reset mod". I'm working on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I like this. I received a message...

I took my frame apart and checked out the way the Striker Safety Lever is causing the reset. ... Not sure about it but maybe a small spring in the back of the safety lever to push it up? If that's it does it get in the way of the trigger bar when its going back?
These are the kinds of questions that are good to ask yourself. (cromulent questions like this can embiggen the smallest man) Try taking out the grip safety, then reassemble. You can get a much better look back there and see what's going on. Get a flashlight and check it out!

Using a spring... interesting idea, but that may lead to... springiness.

After getting a better look at the rear end of the trigger bar and safety lever, take a look at this screw. Let's say it's about 5/64" diameter. Imagine hacking off the threads of a screw similar to this, leaving about 3/16" of pin under the head. Any ideas now?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts