Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to our club's steel shoot today. Five 6 inch discs at 21 feet. I placed third. I won against the top two shooters in an earlier round but finally bit the dust against them in later rounds. I really get a kick out of this kind of shooting and the guys in this club are a great bunch of guys. A big plus is the beautiful area this range is located in. When I get my digital camera back, I'll post a picture.

The two top dogs are also shooting some pretty high dollar weapons. One is a beautiful Kimber that's been "tuned" and I don't know what the other one is but it's a pretty gun with adjustable sights. These guys have also shot much more than I. Still, I think the ol' XD has done pretty well against such fancy equipment. If I was 30 years younger and didn't wear bifocals with an old prescription, I think I could beat either of these two guys (if they were having an off day :)

WyoBob

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Good going, Bob. Some years back my nephew got interested in IPSC, so he bought the cheapest-grade Springfield 1911, and I started coaching him. He was about 22 and had good reflexes, eyes, and one hell of a will to win. To make a long story short, on his third match he waxed a bunch of the locals- two of whom were using Ed Brown match guns. He shot a while longer but after that, they were always screwing with him over something, so he moved on.

You can't buy proficiency. It's the Indian, not the arrow, that makes the shot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the encouragement.

When shooting targets, I kind of felt I wasn't very accurate with my XD40 SC. The only thing I had to compare to was when I used to shoot my old Ruger 6 1/2 barrel 44 mag and my 22 Browning Challenger. Way different kind of shooting and trigger. The XD was my first center fire semi auto. I really like the gun but thought I should be doing better. But, it had been 25 years since I shot the single action and the Browning.

I think I probably should have bought the service for the longer sight radius and full grip for steel target shooting but I didn't know about the steel target deal when I bought the gun. I did receive the 12 shot mag with extension sleeve giving this gun a full grip. I feel like this helped my shooting even though I did have a Pierce extension on one of my shorter mags. The XD holster works well for the steel. I think there might be an advantage to the slightly longer sight radius for me because it makes the front sight seem narrower. Maybe not. Anyway, it's been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed reloading on the Hornady AP LNL.

WyoBob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts