Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is such a thing. I sprayed down the top of the receiver and the slide / barrel with CLP today. Later on in the night I reassembled it and wipped the outside down. But about an hour ago I looked again and some of the oil has reappeared. Is it possible that I've oiled it too much? Or is that a good thing?

Thanks!

P.S. - Anything that I want to make sure I don't oil? In which case I should go back and dry / wipe it off?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Your gun will be OK. When you take it to the range it may spit some back on you and the smell of burning oil...well...some folks kinda like that.

Try not to oil the grips. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
It is possible to over oil, but for the most part the only problem you will notice is purely cosmetic. Oil will attract powder residue, but once again it is mostly a cosmetic condition. Although oil getting on the extractor wouldn't be a good thing since the extractor is trying to get a grip on the rim of the spent round in the chamber to remove it.
I use a well soaked Q-tip to apply oil. Put some on the rails where the slide and frame meet and any areas where you can see that two surfaces are bearing against each other. A light coat around the barrel is good too. I use Tetra gunlube and a little goes a long way.

Good luck, shoot safe 8)

Whhhoaaa, post #2000 for me :shock:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
People who think over oiling is mainly a cosmetic issue need to rethink that view. If you are a guy who is just going to the range, they are right. If you are a hunter, soldier, policeman, shooting sports competitor, or a holder of a ccw, it is a recipe for disaster. Oil attracts, powder, dirt, grit and grime. In cold weather evironments, it will gum things up. One other thing to consider; most economy/practice ammo is not sealed, thus oil can seep into this ammo over time and render it inert. You should use oil very sparingly on your pistol.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I put a single drop on each slide rail, and a little on every spring I can see. I put a drop on the trigger bar.. which I kind of let run into the works of the trigger works. Then I wipe any excess with a patch or a q-tip. (I am tending not to use the q-tips too much. They leave little bits of cotton behind that I don't like.)

The only place I avoid putting any oil is the sear. That is one part that I don't think should be slippery.

This has worked pretty well for me so far.

Raymond

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, so I should remove it from the sear and extractor? I'm aware of the extractor but where is the sear?

I tried to be slow and careful, but the spray CLP comes out very quickly, and runs like no tomorrow!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I to have done that by accident. I would reccomend just to take a rag, and wipe it down well. Then go out and fire it, keeping the rag with you. Wipe it off every once in a while. The gasses will expell the excess oil. (saftey glases!!)

Just chalk it up to experience.

If the firearm just sits in a safe till the next time you go to the range, then I wouldn't worry about the excess oil.

With oil I keep a cap near and spray the oil into the cap. Take a small straw and dip it in, a small amt of oil will stick to the straw, and you can use it as an applicator

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use Slide Glide from Brian Enos rather than oil. It has a gel-like consistency and doesn't get into and on everything the way oil seems to.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use a hourse hair brush to put clp on. You def dont want to much on it while using it and you def dont want any in the chamber or barrel when you shoot it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kinda just sprayed it... everywhere in the receiver and slide. I guess I'll have to burn it off the next time I shoot and learn how to do it properly.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have been using Birchwood Sheath for years on several different weapons and my pocket knife. I spray the slide etc than wipe it down to leave a light coat. The Sheath type I like to use is a spray and I have also been using a Q-Tip for the rails. It also comes in a drop type can.

I like the paint brush idea and will give it a try.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Firepower_426 said:
Alright, so I should remove it from the sear and extractor? I'm aware of the extractor but where is the sear?

I tried to be slow and careful, but the spray CLP comes out very quickly, and runs like no tomorrow!
The sear is part #10 in your XD FRAME PARTS LIST. It sits between the Striker Safety Lever (#25) and the Ejector (#14) This is a very important part of your machine. It is what releases the striker, and makes your gun go BANG!!!

The reason I don't lube it will be obvious to you once you take a good look at it. I wouldn't be overly paranoid about it.. put a little drop on the sear spring.. just avoid the sear itself.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You'll be fine. Just watch your eyes as others have stated.

I would recomend using something other than CLP for all the reasons that you stated. It is my least favorite gun care product. Try Eezox, Corrosion X Aviation, or FP-10...in that order. All are much better than CLP.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tempest said:
You'll be fine. Just watch your eyes as others have stated.

I would recomend using something other than CLP for all the reasons that you stated. It is my least favorite gun care product. Try Eezox, Corrosion X Aviation, or FP-10...in that order. All are much better than CLP.
It seems to stay oily, or very lubricative (if that's a word), but it just GOES EVERYWHERE. Otherwise, not bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts