Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the precision spring kit from PRP to reduce the pull weight of my XD-S 9mm. I'm in no way a gunsmith and I don't have the right tools, but it seemed simple enough and it's advertised as a DIY affair so I tried to install the parts myself and ended up damaging my slide a bit. I don't have a 1/16 punch like you're supposed to use to remove the roll pins, so I tried using a tiny driver bit that looked to be about the right size. Well that was stupid of me because it ended up being too wide for the pin hole and I ended up taking a small chip out of the inside of my slide, around the edge of the hole where the extractor pin goes. I purchased a punch set and brass hammer so I can do the installation right, but now I'm worried I may have damaged it to the point where the gun is no longer safe to fire.

So my question is, did I screw up bad? Do I need a whole new slide now, or is it okay to fire like that? I definitely don't want to fire it without knowing it's still okay and risk it blowing up in my hand or something. Take a look at the attached pic and let me know how much of an idiot I am.
20181108_201417.jpg

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Hmm. At first blush, I’d say, it’s ok...but, it’s been a long time since I stayed on a Holiday Inn Express.

I will say, I doubt it would go grenade on you, and it would be safe to fire...but after a while, it could possibly start to crack at the damage point.

*shrug*

If in serious doubt, send it to Springfield.

It might be under warranty...even if not, a new slide should only cost $100-150, I’d guess.

·
Premium Member
17,720 Posts
Doesn’t look like structural damage to me, just popped the side off the cylindrical hole where the pin goes.

Like Cuda, I don’t see how anything could blow up from that. Shoot a mag, take it apart and inspect, and then check it again after a couple more mags.

I doubt you cracked the slide itself, just that section of the wall of the pin cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts