Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
received my first springfield today which I ordered from Buds guns online.
It is a XDM-45.
outside looked new and it racked and dry fired fine at my FFL so I accepted the gun.
when I got home I noticed the test shell package had 20-09-2010 written on it. This is almost a year ago. I stripped it down to clean it and noticed there was a little wear on the top of the outer barrel. I have the same amount of wear on my Glocks barrel top but I have fired that about 2000 times. This gun is supposed to have been fired only once. Any one else think this is unusual?
I wrote to springfield with this info and the serial number as well as buds looking for an explanation.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
The top of the barrel wears very quickly on an XD/XDm

A lot of people have posted the same question.

As far as shell date, have no worries, when I bought my 45ctac, it had been sitting on the shelf for 10 months

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I dont know how HS Produkt does it or how SA here in the USA does it. But some firearm manufacturers will test random firearms more than just a few proofing rounds to randomly check CQ.

I would see it as less rounds I need to shoot to wear it in. IF the gun shoots fine all is good, dont worry about it......

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Maybe fired once or twice, but every time the slide is racked, you're making contact and wearing down the part. No worries.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you used your credit card at Bud's, I'd be worried about that...

Check your statement closely for the next couple of months, they've been hacked more than once.

Mine got nicked for a couple hundo in X-Box Live charges. Got it reversed, but still a hassle, what with waiting 10 days while a new card was sent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't worry about the date, you got a new gun. My 3 XD's showed more wear from the test fire than my used M&P does now.
sounds like springfield barrels finish wear easy.
I bought the XDM for the match grade barrel so I would think the finish would be top notch also.
I have not shot the gun yet but will tomorrow. I have always loved my glocks as they have been flawless and except for a little wear on top of barrel they still look almost new. I carry them alot and have shot thousands of rounds through them so far. I can live with springfields finish not being as durable as the glock if I can shoot it more accurately. This is the reason I am trying a springfield because many say they are more accurate than glocks. So far I am wishing that I bought the glock 21 but tomorrow at the range may change my mind. its nice to have a gun look great but performance is my real concern.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Just remember the melonite is not paint....its a metal treatment, just because it gets a little shiny doesn't mean the melonite is gone

Seriously, shoot the gun, carry the gun, drop the gun, burry it in the sand, run it over with your car.

Bones heal and chicks dig scars....same goes with the XD's

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just broke her down again to take a second look at the barrel.
about 3/4 inch from the front of the barrel the thickness of the outer barrel is thicker. hard to decribe except to say the outer barrel becomes a little thicker towards the last 3/4 inch or so. feels like a slight lip as you run your finger from the back of barrel to the front when you reach this area. is this a normal feature.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
about 3/4 inch from the front of the barrel the thickness of the outer barrel is thicker. hard to decribe except to say the outer barrel becomes a little thicker towards the last 3/4 inch or so. feels like a slight lip as you run your finger from the back of barrel to the front when you reach this area. is this a normal feature.
Yup, normal, its clearence for the slide and to help lockup when the slide closes

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Yes... the front of the barrel has a slightly larger OD than the rear of the barrel, its made that way.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It's the "forcing cone".
Once the slide moves backwards enough the smaller diameter barrel gives enough "slop" for the barrel to tilt down. As the slide returns to it's forward "in battery" position, the forcing cone makes a tighter fit so nearly all slop is gone from the slide/barrel connection.
Lock your slide back and notice how loose the barrel is, now return it forward and try to wiggle the end of the barrel with your fingertip, it's pretty snug.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Just remember the melonite is not paint....its a metal treatment, just because it gets a little shiny doesn't mean the melonite is gone

Seriously, shoot the gun, carry the gun, drop the gun, burry it in the sand, run it over with your car.

Bones heal and chicks dig scars....same goes with the XD's
+1 right there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts