Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I got a wild hair and had a little time to kill so I designed to do a little polishing on my XDm.

I started with breaking down the slide completely and polishing the face of the safety plunger and the face of the striker.

Then I carefully worked on the face of the sear. (not the best pic but it's all I could do to get the S4 to focus)

Then the face of the piece that presses in the safety plunger. (dunno it's exact name)

Anyway, the results were very good. The break is cleaner and the small amount of take-up right before the break is better. It feels like the one at the LGS that has 5000 rounds through it that got me so excited about getting into the XDm platform. I'm actually somewhat conflicted about changing the trigger spring now because the trigger is much better and by better I mean less creep before the break. I was very careful not to remove any metal, just polish the surface smooth and clean. I used 800 grit to get the finish off and 1500 grit to smooth it to a mirror-like finish. I even used a little metal polish cream for good measure.

This was also a good chance for me to clean the striker channel and get all the crap that the previous owner let build up in there because some people don't realize gun oil isn't good everywhere in a gun.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Sweet! I would try that but I am too scared I would mess something up. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but don't want to tinker with something I keep to defend my life.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! I would try that but I am too scared I would mess something up. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but don't want to tinker with something I keep to defend my life.
I just used very light pressure to make sure I was polishing and not sanding away metal material, just the coatings to get to the metal so I could polish it. This kind of wear will eventually happen with time the more the weapon is fired. I didn't even remove the sear from the frame because if you look closely at the sear holding the striker, the sear is holding a small section of the striker. The striker was very easy to do because I could remove it from the slide. I thought about getting an aftermarket striker but now I don't see the need. Just 15 minutes of time and careful polishing did the trick and saved me like $35. The key is to take your time and not remove metal material, just polish off the coating and get a nice mirror finish on the metal to metal surfaces.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Your pics didn't make. :sad:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Try using some flitz metal polish and a polishing wheel on a dremel. Talk about a mirror finish. Did it for my wifes glock. Came out smooth as butter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try using some flitz metal polish and a polishing wheel on a dremel. Talk about a mirror finish. Did it for my wifes glock. Came out smooth as butter.
I still need to get a dremel, but yes, that works very well too. I only used the sandpaper because of the coatings on the individual pieces. I don't think I'll need to worry about rust because the 3.8 isn't my primary carry gun (my XDs is my primary). The XDm gets nightstand duty and some carry duty when I feel like I need more capacity on me.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had 2 xd's, both with a small little lip in the safety plunger cavity. The plunger would hang up on it just ever so lightly and was gritty feeling when taking up the trigger. Really made for a poor feel when prepping the trigger to fire.

Sent the 1st one back to SA and they polished the cavity and the sides of the plunger, did the second one my self. Well worth the time for that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's amazing what a little polishing will do to an action or trigger group. I'd rather polish up stock parts than blow $150 on new ones if the stock ones will still give me the feel I want.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just added the PRP spring kit (trigger and sear spring). I'm surprised how easy it was. The XDm is much easier to work on than I thought. I also added the PRP rolled striker retaining pin for a little peace of mind.

I might upgrade the ejector soon just for S&Gs.

I also cleaned up the sear face a little with the 1500 grit. Was ablessed to polish it a lot easier with the sear out of the frame (duh, lol)

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Nothing like a "little time to kill" and busting out the polishing tools! I've done it plenty of times and it's really a fun DIY and @NathanXD you won't mess anything up! Polish the trigger on your colt to get a feel for polishing! It's fun and you can get a nice mirror finish if you have enough elbow grease on tap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts