Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So on the way to the range today, I stopped by Dick's to pick up some Winchester PDX1 for my xd40sc...

I went to check out and the cashier asked me if I had a "Score" card. I said no, since I dont shop there that often, and she gave the usual "let me set you one up". Since this was eating into my range time, I said "No Thanks". She then tried to sell me on it and I said that I was in a hurry to get on and I just wanted to pay. Then she slipped and said "THEY want us to get an address on anyone who buys bullets!" I said, "look lady, you have no right to know where I live or what my name is (even though I showed her my ID for a second to prove that I am over 21) and that if you dont want to take my money for these, I will go somewhere else". She just said "Ok, and please dont shoot anyone" I was so pissed that I just paid and left.

Just a heads up that they may be tracking you if you buy ammo at Dick's!!!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
So on the way to the range today, I stopped by Dick's to pick up some Winchester PDX1 for my xd40sc...

I went to check out and the cashier asked me if I had a "Score" card. I said no, since I dont shop there that often, and she gave the usual "let me set you one up". Since this was eating into my range time, I said "No Thanks". She then tried to sell me on it and I said that I was in a hurry to get on and I just wanted to pay. Then she slipped and said "THEY want us to get an address on anyone who buys bullets!" I said, "look lady, you have no right to know where I live or what my name is (even though I showed her my ID for a second to prove that I am over 21) and that if you dont want to take my money for these, I will go somewhere else". She just said "Ok, and please dont shoot anyone" I was so pissed that I just paid and left.

Just a heads up that they may be tracking you if you buy ammo at Dick's!!!
Wow, with friends like that, who needs Liberal Democrats? Time to shop someplace else.:-x

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's crazy. I buy my CCI Standard Velocity bricks from there and have never had anything like that happen. I mean, yes, they ask to see ID to make sure I'm old enough, but nothing like that. Sounds like you just ran into some lady who has an irrational fear of guns due to the media and typical ignorance-based fear. I'd say you handled yourself well. I mean, you didn't curse at her or anything. That would have just made her fear gun owners even more.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i used to work at a dicks. as you may have suspected corporate sends in expected numbers for new score cards sign ups per store per day. she however sounds like a moron. good call not helping her out, hopefully she gets bitched at by her manager later for not making quota.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The cashier is probably just trying to get people signed up for their program. Which I don't think does anything IMO. But she could have gone at it a different way.

I joined the Score Card thing a few years back. I don't shop their much though. Some lacrosse stuff for my boy and some golf stuff for me. Zero selection of fly fishing stuff. And out of the way to purchase ammo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I realize that the "whatever store you shop at" cards are just marketing BS so that they can get demographic breakdowns of product purchases, and that the cashiers are measured on their efficiency signing people up. But I resigned myself along time ago that in this world of "big box, impersonal" shopping if I am not going to get noticeable discounts on things I buy, I am not going to carry your card.

I dont intentially shop or not shop at Dick's, and am not swearing them off, but I will think twice about ammo purchases from now on.

Kind of off topic of my OP, but still forum appropriate, I have a RIA 1911 cs (bought new about 3 months ago and about 400 rounds) and 3 mags, one ACT that came with it, a CM 7 round with low profile butt plate and metal follower, and a WC 8 round with the polymer follower. I tried out some Winchester 230gn PDX1s, and guess which mag gave me trouble...it was actually the Wilson Combat mag. The ACT and the Chip McCormick (sp?) gave me no trouble and fed reliably. With the WC mag with the Winchester PDX1, the firing pin retainer would actually slip down and keep the slide from returning to battery. Damnedest thing I have ever seen, but I will keep the other two mags loaded until I get to try some Critical Defense in .45....if I can find it.

I know the CD loads are a touchy subject, I have about 50 of them through my xd40sc and not trouble whatsoever. I actually fired my carry mag that has been loaded for weeks and in the gun when I have carried the whole time. They all fired flawlessly, none of the "brake pad" effect that is talked of.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe the regular sporting goods guy was on break and she was from the shoe dept. I sure would have wanted to discuss that crap with the manager, though.

The last time I bought beer in Publix, the cashier wanted to scan my drivers license. I refused. I have no idea what information is on the magnetic strip, but I do know Publix has no business having it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Big Brother is WATCHING!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have never had an issue at dick's but to comment on the score card and other 'customer cards' I used to work in management at some companys that use these card and what they are used for is to track customers purchases....when i worked for Safeway/ Ralphs i was able to look up my savings card # and was able to see what and when i have bought for the past 2 years. Just makes you wonder why and hope just for product sales use.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
The last time I bought beer in Publix, the cashier wanted to scan my drivers license. I refused. I have no idea what information is on the magnetic strip, but I do know Publix has no business having it.
A little knowledge, or power, is dangerous.

Once, when I was in a pawn shop fitting holsters with the assistance of an employee, another employee said to me, "You wouldn't rob us, would you?" That launched me into a tirade about how idiotic it was to even JOKE about such a thing, and earned them a "no sale" on a holster when I walked out immediately afterward. I've never been back, either.

In a bank, a couple of years ago, I endorsed a check with my signature - which, I admit, is a scrawl - but IS my legal signature. The teller looked at it, and, within earshot of other customers, asked me. "How do you GET AWAY WITH signing your name like that?" That earned her a trip to the Manager with me while I strenuously objected to the use of the words "get away with" (which implied I was doing something illegal), AND the difference between writing my name and signing my name. The outcome of that conversation earned her a pink slip.

But what can you expect from minimum wage clerks?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Put away your tinfoil hat! I have had a Dick's scorecard for at least ten years. They scan it with EVERY purchase , not just ammo. After a certain number of points are accumulated, you get a gift certificate good for other purchases at Dicks. If you don't want it that's fine. But there is nothing nefarious about it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maybe the regular sporting goods guy was on break and she was from the shoe dept. I sure would have wanted to discuss that crap with the manager, though.

The magnetic strip on your id shows it is NOT fake and shows the same info that is on the front. Some people cant put the date together to figure out your age. by you refusing just makes you look like your up to no good.

I would be waaay more worried about using your cell phone unless you personally know how to encrypt your own phone all you info that your phone company has including your ssn or any apps you might have is all up for grabs.

hell there are devices out there that can take all you credit/ debit card info just by walking by you

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
The magnetic strip on your id shows it is NOT fake and shows the same info that is on the front. Some people cant put the date together to figure out your age. by you refusing just makes you look like your up to no good.

I would be waaay more worried about using your cell phone unless you personally know how to encrypt your own phone all you info that your phone company has including your ssn or any apps you might have is all up for grabs.

hell there are devices out there that can take all you credit/ debit card info just by walking by you

Not a flame in an way my man, but I would gather it is OK for someone to gather your address then. FWIW I do not want who knows looking at my address and knowing what guns I have by looking at the ammo I bought. I am more worried about Joe Snuffy having it easy to come to my house for a look see. All they need to do is look at the records.

NO WAY I would give anyone my address when buying ammo, but thats just me. If my money alone aint good enough then they can keep the ammo. Plenty of others that sell ammo.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I bought a box of Hornady Critical Defense .380 ACP at Dick's a few weeks ago and didn't even get carded for age. I must be getting old.

Trying to get an address on ammo buyers is total BS. If they ask, the standard response should be "1060 West Addison".

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have never had an issue at dick's but to comment on the score card and other 'customer cards' I used to work in management at some companys that use these card and what they are used for is to track customers purchases....when i worked for Safeway/ Ralphs i was able to look up my savings card # and was able to see what and when i have bought for the past 2 years. Just makes you wonder why and hope just for product sales use.
Those cards are used to track what you spend money on. For the purpose of selling that info. The retailers can sell that information(along with your contact info, unless you specifically say not to), who then send you targeted mail or spam based on what you are buying.
The next time you fill one out use a different name or spelling and see what you get.
Same with those contests at the store where you fill out a name with contact info.
I'm not meaning to say all do this. I know that some do. Some say they won't when you fill out the card. Unless they state that they will not share your info, they probably are.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree that the data is being used only to target marketing data. This data is used to help them better understand the needs of their customers as well as sending marketing blasts catered to their buying habits.

However, I will also say that information stored in a database is information that can be used by law enforcement to investigate a crime. If you happen to be a person that bought the same type of ammo in the same time period that was used in a homicide, you could end up answering some questions.

This is no different than record companies getting a subpoena against Internet providers to deliver personal information stored about who was using an IP address at a certain time/date to go against them and accuse them of committing a crime.

I pick and choose who I provide my information to based on how I think it could be used.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not a flame in an way my man, but I would gather it is OK for someone to gather your address then. FWIW I do not want who knows looking at my address and knowing what guns I have by looking at the ammo I bought. I am more worried about Joe Snuffy having it easy to come to my house for a look see. All they need to do is look at the records.

NO WAY I would give anyone my address when buying ammo, but thats just me. If my money alone aint good enough then they can keep the ammo. Plenty of others that sell ammo.
If you would have read what i was responding to you would realize it had nothing to do with buying ammo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts