Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me preface this by saying that this is entirely MY experience. I have heard reports, both good and bad about the DB9 and this is just what I have observed.

I bought a new DB9 today. I was looking for a new pocket carry and this small pistol fit the bill. I decided to go right over to the local range and try it out.

Right out of the box the DB9 felt good in my hands. Small, and but the weight worried me a bit seeing as how I imagined there would be a decent amount of recoil for a 9mm this small. I brought along with me a box of 115gr Winchester standard ball ammo, a box of 147gr Federal standard ball, a box of 115gr Winchester JHP, and a box of 147gr Federal Hydrashok.

I started off with a magazine (6rounds) of the 115gr ball, and after loading the magazine, the first rounded seated with no problem. I set up a standard silhouette at 15ft and decided to have some fun center mass. My first magazine with this gun started a little low, but as I got a better feel with each round I was able to walk the final round dead center in the chest. The next magazine was another 115gr ball. Once again, the first round seated with no problem and at 15ft I was shooting shot groups in the size of a half dollar. Not bad IMO for this tiny little 9mm.

The 3rd magazine I tried was the 147gr ball. Once again, everything seated no problem. I was able to tell a bit of a difference with the kick between the 115gr and the 147gr as would be expected but nothing so serious as to worry me. My first couple rounds I think I might have been anticipating as I shot a little low, but once again, once I got a feel for things everything was spot on.

I shot multiple magazines of the 115gr and 147gr ball with no FTF's, FTE's or any malfunctions of any type, and this is straight out of the box mind you and ranged from half dollar size groupings at 15 feet to 4-6 inch groupings at 20-25 feet with steady slow shots.

I decided to set up a new target and tried out the 115gr JHP. To make a long story short, the rounds were spot on, once again with NO malfunctions of any type. The more I shot the more I started to notice that the checkering on the back strap seemed a bit sharp in areas and after about 100 rounds, it started to dig a bit into the webbing of my hand...but really...with a gun this small in 9mm and after 100 rounds, it's to be expected.

Another thing I noticed was that I had to place my finger high on the trigger, closer to the actual frame of the gun. If I didn't, the pad of my finger would drag ever so slightly across the bottom edge of the trigger and cause a bit of agitation on the recoil. Again, nothing serious, but something that might want to be noted by people first firing this weapon.

As far as what part of the finger to place on the trigger, I used the pad of my finger, and seemed to do fine. A friend of mine who recently bought one has longer fingers and was able to use the part in between the first and second joints with no issues.

The last rounds I shot were the 147gr Hydrashok, and no surprise, everything went smoothly. This little gun was an absolute pleasure to shoot.

At 45-50 feet, I was able to put rounds on paper. Mind you my shot groupings left something to be desired, but take into consideration the size of the pistol and length at which I was firing. I fired approximately 24 rounds of varying grains and once again was able to put all on paper and silhouette. The main variance I rand into was vertical, not horizontal with shot placement.

My friend who also had a brand new DB9 and fired some 157gr round nose, and had no issues what so ever.

All firing was done inside an indoor range with shots ranging from 15ft to 50ft. Over the course of 150 rounds, I experienced NO malfunctions of any sort. One thing to note however, is a "walking pin" just above and behind the trigger on the frame. This has been noted on several DB9 reviews and with the help of a drop of blue loctite, it seems all issues have been resolved.

The sights can be drifter to adjust for windage but right out of the box they seemed to work just fine. The standard white 3 dot was large enough to easily see but small enough to remain out of the way.

All in all, this pistol was worth every dollar and will most definitely find a home in my pocket from this point on.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Hum might you work for DB? I have first hand knowledge of a slide flying off of one of these guns. Hitting a shooter in the face, your life is worth more than 150.00-200.00 and don't trust a gun just because you put 200 rounds through it...

·
Registered
486 Posts
cool to hear. My LCP and Kahr both jammed within the first 200 and each had to go back to the manufacturer after 500, so you're doing well so far.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post that up. I have wondered about this new caliber for the DB lineup. Looking at their site, was hopeing that they had the extended magazine floor plate for the 9mm, like they do for the .380, but they don't yet. Seems like that would be something easy to put out with their new line up, so will wait a little longer to take a "feel" of it.

Am really getting excited about the release of the new Beretta Nano.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I picked one of these up today, I've got a 3.8 Compact, and it was just too wide to conceal with some clothing. I put 150 rounds through it without issue. I noticed the trigger/frame pinch as well. I modified it today, I took about 1/16th inch off and rounded the lower part of the trigger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hum might you work for DB? I have first hand knowledge of a slide flying off of one of these guns. Hitting a shooter in the face, your life is worth more than 150.00-200.00 and don't trust a gun just because you put 200 rounds through it...
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of how there was a total slide failure. These take down like a glock. The slide would have to break in half for it to hit the shooter in the face.

PS, I don't work for DB, but feel free to check on LS1GTO.com, I'm a moderator over there with ~10k posts. There was already a GAGTO, so I'm GAGTOE over there.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of how there was a total slide failure. These take down like a glock. The slide would have to break in half for it to hit the shooter in the face.

PS, I don't work for DB, but feel free to check on LS1GTO.com, I'm a moderator over there with ~10k posts. There was already a GAGTO, so I'm GAGTOE over there.
I was at the range when it happened, I was in the RSO office shooting the ****, about a week later the same happened with another DB. I am not sure how they happened. This was with the very early DB firearms. It caused the range to ban them for a few months. Last I heard they are now allowed at the range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was at the range when it happened, I was in the RSO office shooting the ****, about a week later the same happened with another DB. I am not sure how they happened. This was with the very early DB firearms. It caused the range to ban them for a few months. Last I heard they are now allowed at the range.
It's physically impossible for the slide to hit the shooter without a catastrophic failure. The take down is similar to a glock, in order for the slide to come off, it must go forward.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wanted to add that I too have a Diamondback DB9 and it have over 500 flawless rounds though mine and I like it very much. I too do not work for Diamondback :p However there have been reports of broken rails which have been traced to the users having the Crimsontrace lasers. In the beginning Crimsontrace thought that the laser for the DB380 will also work and fit the DB9, and it looks like it, but the front is made to fit the DB380 and has some added material to fit the DB380, and when firing the DB9 gun, it actually adds tremendous stress to the rails weakening them. The factory has been able to duplicate this and Crimsontrace is *supposedly* redesigning a new one for the DB9. Diamondaback's CS is very good and will repair or replace the frame that has been damaged by the Crimsontrace laser. Just to note also that some people have modified the Crimsontrace laser to make it fit better on the DB9 and have not reported any breakage of their rails on their DB9.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
He doesn't need to work for the gun manufacturer to have a good experience with the weapon. I must agree with a couple of other posters. it's hard to see how a slide could fly completely off backwards and hit someone in the face.

BTW, I put 200 rounds through my NIB XD9SC and strapped it on my waist. How much testing does a gun need before it's reliable to you? Keep in mind that ANY mechanical device can fail at ANY time for ANY number of reasons. I've also heard catastrophic failure reports on Glock, S&W, Kahr, Kimber, and other "better name brand" guns. I bet you'd trust your life to one of those, though. Give the little guy a chance. Several years ago, no one knew what a "Kimber" was, either. Everyone has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
He doesn't need to work for the gun manufacturer to have a good experience with the weapon. I must agree with a couple of other posters. it's hard to see how a slide could fly completely off backwards and hit someone in the face.

BTW, I put 200 rounds through my NIB XD9SC and strapped it on my waist. How much testing does a gun need before it's reliable to you? Keep in mind that ANY mechanical device can fail at ANY time for ANY number of reasons. I've also heard catastrophic failure reports on Glock, S&W, Kahr, Kimber, and other "better name brand" guns. I bet you'd trust your life to one of those, though. Give the little guy a chance. Several years ago, no one knew what a "Kimber" was, either. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You are correct in trying to give Diamondback a chance. Heck 20-25 years ago, people were saying the same thing about Glocks and now you have the G-Fanatics all over the place thinking that the *G* can't do anything wrong. That is why my belief that Glock will not come out with a single stack slim 9/40/357sig because they too know that if all the other manufactures out there are having problems with their version, Glock will also have problems with theirs. They do not want to ruin their reputation of reliability and that is why in my opinion they do not think outside of the box with new designs, etc. Again just my honest and humble opinion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
He doesn't need to work for the gun manufacturer to have a good experience with the weapon.
I think he's pointing out the suspicious way the poster only has two posts to his name, both praising the DB, all on the same day he joined, and hasn't been back since. Many times a rep will do this pretending to be a consumer, as a cheap way to advertise. I suppose he could be a great guy that just wants to help us out, even though he doesn't want to contribute anymore. :rolleyes:

Tactics like this speak volumes about a company.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a DB380 that i was very frustrated with.. Went back to the factory twice and they couldn't get it right. It had constant FTE/FTF and light strikes.. Too bad cause i really loved the ergos and sights it had for such a small gun.. That was enough to turn my head to a DB9. I would more trust my life to a Hi point C9.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pictures do not do not do justice to how nice they look in person. They are very thin. Very high quality feel as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have a db9 and have put 200 rounds of fmj and 25 hp through it with out a problem. I also have a lcp and a kahr cm9.
the lcp has been flawless but is no where near as accurate as my db9. the kahr is almost as accurate as my db9 but I had to send it back when I first got it due to a bad barrel. for front pocket carry the kahr is a little heavy and thick. the lcp is the lightest but ois only 380 caliber. the db9 has become my choice for front pocket carry.
I must add that when I can carry a larger gun my favorites are my xdm 45 or my glock 27

1 - 15 of 15 Posts