Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the next 3 days off of work and I'm probably going to go to the range today to get my weekly practice time in. I was thinking of detail stripping my XD to clean it and familiarize myself with the proceedure. I have a complete printed out guide from the detail strip thread that Ajames made and all the tools. Should I try it or just leave it until I need to get it refinished (probably not anytime soon).

What would you recommend I coat the internal parts with before I put them back in? Leave them dry? I was gonna use some militec but I don't have anymore.

Krackels

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Do it, do it do it you will learn so much about your pistol. I would avoid the mag button....I can do it really fast but it is still a pain. That said if I were you I would do it any way. If you have any troubles give me a call and I will help you through it.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
some help if you dont have a vice put two phone books together with an inch gap between them. Sit the pistol over the gap and push the pins through they will have room to move becuase of the gap.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Sadly, our phone books here are like a lot of church's Sunday programs. :)

||

This thick.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright it's settled. . . I'll do it. But only after I put a box or two through her to get her nice and dirty. I'm still trying to figure out what to coat the internal parts with. Any ideas? If I can't find some good feedback I'll just use Eezox, it's not the best for lubrication but it's better than nothing right?

Krackels

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
After you wipe every thing down and do the cleaning....Wash or wipe your hands off. Then Take the Eezox and spray your palms fingers not till they drip but till they have a nice coat of clean oil on them. Now put your xd back together use your hands to spread the oil over the parts as you handle them. This way you oil them but not too much.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry one more question. I was going to clean everything with Simple Green and old tooth brushes. That's fine to use right?

Krackels

·
Registered
688 Posts
Rule #1.......Put James Phone # on Speed-dial :lol:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
use your hands to spread the oil over the parts as you handle them.
Massage Therapy 102.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
After you wipe every thing down and do the cleaning....Wash or wipe your hands off. Then Take the Eezox and spray your palms fingers not till they drip but till they have a nice coat of clean oil on them. Now put your xd back together use your hands to spread the oil over the parts as you handle them. This way you oil them but not too much.
Filed away under "I shoulda thoughta that". Excellent suggestion.

- Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Do it, do it do it you will learn so much about your pistol. I would avoid the mag button....I can do it really fast but it is still a pain. That said if I were you I would do it any way. If you have any troubles give me a call and I will help you through it.
DON'T DO THE MAG PIN! :lol: Everything else is straight forward. Good idea to do it.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just about to start it. I'll keep you informed.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm 99% done the slide but that darn extractor won't budge. I bent one pick and I'm hoping I won't have to bend another. Any tips?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
a very good idea. I did it using information James had told me in person and over the phone when I had a serious malfunction in the past. This combined with his website proved very helpful! It ended up taking me a lot of time and got very fustrating, but in the end, when I did a malfunction check, I had a real feeling of accomplishment (I know, sounds sappy). But I was proud of myself that I was able to figure it out without having to go to my local gun shop or driving up to/calling James for help. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hmm, my extractor comes out really easy, what gives? It still work great too. Hmm.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
my extractor is sometimes a bitch to get out. I use a pick set to pop it up a little, then grab on the little cylinder shaped part with some needlenose plyers to pull itout. Last time, it took me about 20 minutes to pull out becasue it felt stuck. The needlenose plyers just weren't doing the job.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My extractor has never even moved just a tiny little bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts