Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about detail cleaning my M44...basically, tear it all down as far as I can go, clean it all up and oil it down real well, then through it all back together.

Is that advisable? Should I just leave it as is? I was thinking of leaving the bolt intact, then cleaning off the rest as best I can. I was going to scrub everything real good with a toothbrush and some solvent (thinking Hoppes Elite), then wipe it all down with some Hoppes oil. I really just want to smooth everything out, make it look nice again...and I'm a little OCD :rolleyes:

Also, if I wanted to get the scratch marks out of the wood, where just the finish was removed, how would I go about refinishing it, while keeping the same look? Can you strip it right down to the bare wood and just finish it as you like? I'd really like to keep the same overall appearance it has now...

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Yeah, its ok to do. I did it once with a Mosin and had fun with it. Pretty simple rifle. Even the bolt is easy to take apart and reassemble if you pay attention.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Break it down completely, and clean everything, especially the bolt and chamber. For the small parts, I use mineral spirits to dissolve the cosmoline. Works like a champ. Oil everything afterwards, as it will be very dry after cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts