Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of in the next few months buying a 1911, I have shot several 1911's before and well, I want one. I have been looking at several options but I am falling fond of the Magnum Research (Desert Eagle). Any opinions? Advice?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Well, 1. it's no 1911. 2. If you have tons of money to spend on ammo, 3. It is really heavy and too big to carry well as a CCW. Good luck with your decision, but I think you should go with a 1911 instead of a DE.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, 1. it's no 1911. 2. If you have tons of money to spend on ammo, 3. It is really heavy and too big to carry well as a CCW. Good luck with your decision, but I think you should go with a 1911 instead of a DE.
I thought he was talking about the magnum research DE 1911?

Magnum Research

(Edit) I also see it comes in a black oxide blued finish... Id love to see that first hand! :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magnum Research 1911 Look it up, I have a 44 mag Desert Eagle I Know what a desert eagle is, they make a 1911.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Magnum Research 1911 Look it up, I have a 44 mag Desert Eagle I Know what a desert eagle is, they make a 1911.
Have you had any jamming with that 44. ? I wanted to get a DE in .44 or .50 (for S&G's) but was talked out of it due to malfunctioning constantly on multiple occasions? Also do you have a pic of that DE? :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you had any jamming with that 44. ? I wanted to get a DE in .44 or .50 (for S&G's) but was talked out of it due to malfunctioning constantly on multiple occasions? Also do you have a pic of that DE? :p
No pictures, just standard DE 44 mag, NO PROBLEMS EVER! Damn fine firearm. I would buy another in a second, carry as a backup when hunting. Sholder holster I can conceal If I want. Just to heavy and big, for carrying all day.

·
Administrator
22,462 Posts
I guess you learn something new everyday. I didnt know DE made a 1911.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would stick with a reputable 1911 manufacturer. Colt, Springfield, Brown, etc.

Depending on what you want the gun for (range, ccw, competition) and how much you want to spend you have hundreds of choices.

I have a few SA 1911s and i love them. I have heard horror stories about Kimber and their customer service.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I've heard that these are decent but by no means anything special. I've heard that they actually took the idea from Chuck Daly and produced it before they could which effectively put Chuck Daly under. I don't know if that's 100% a fact but I would rather just get something more reputable. Just because it says DE doesn't make it anything great.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone actually fired or even handled one? Any first hand experince?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Has anyone actually fired or even handled one? Any first hand experince?
Actually, I have fired a friend's. To sum it up, I would spend my money elsewhere, but that's mostly personal preference.

I didn't care for the slide serrations or the GIANT billboard they put on the slide. It's so damn big they should pay you for advertising that sucker. The finish also wasn't the greatest. Moving past that, it feels like a 1911, more specifically it reminds me of a Kimber. That's good or bad, depending on how you feel about them. Shooting it was just as fun as every other 1911 I've fired. We ran FMJ and JHP without any issues and it was accurate enough.

All in all, if you like the way it looks and like the brand, go for it. If not, there are other options at a similar price point.

Oh, almost forgot to add, factory trigger on this bad boy was outstanding if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I've seen one, never held it. I think its fine compared to the market 3 years ago. but IMO with all the new offerings their are much better deals to be had if it has all the features as you want, then its the way to go, but IMO if you look at it and want to change even 1 thing (beyond the grips obviously) you could do better.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have one and I love it. I have put about 500 rounds through it and its been flawless. It handles great and is the smoothest 1911 I have seen for the money, which is why I bought it. Go to the 1911 forum and search there are a bunch of owners who have them and are very impressed.

Sent from Nates Droid X

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have one and I love it. I have put about 500 rounds through it and its been flawless. It handles great and is the smoothest 1911 I have seen for the money, which is why I bought it. Go to the 1911 forum and search there are a bunch of owners who have them and are very impressed.

Sent from Nates Droid X
What did you pay of you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Magnum Research's products seem pretty hit or miss, in my humble opinion. I bought a Desert Eagle in .50AE nine years ago and it was nothing but trouble. Failure to feed, failure to eject, failure to go into battery. I sold it a year later. However, my friend has a .45 Jericho, and it's a fine weapon. He could have saved $300 and bought a CZ 75, though. As for 1911s, I love my Kimber. You can get a Custom II for around $700, and it's made in the States. I would go with a tried and true manufacturer with a proven track record for the 1911, personally.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I've heard that they actually took the idea from Chuck Daly and produced it before they could which effectively put Chuck Daly under. I don't know if that's 100% a fact but I would rather just get something more reputable. Just because it says DE doesn't make it anything great.

That's a bit of a stretch to claim that Magnum research (now owned by Kahr, btw) put KBI (who was importing 1911s for many years) out of business by releasing a 1911 in the US. What would have made the DE 1911 the last straw for KBI, and not the 100 other 1911s?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts