Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've now successfully modified a Magpul PMag to accept a total of 29 rounds and feed as reliably as it does in 5.56NATO. I think it would work 30 rounds just fine, but since the rim side of the 5.45x39mm is bigger than 5.56x45mm, it just won't allow any more room for another round. I had to modify the precious PMag follower to successfully convert the magazine to 5.45x39mm. And from what I can see, it seems to only work correctly in the windowed magazines. The standard PMags don't seem to fit in as well. I'll add the specifics when I get the pics up.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PICS
Here it is when full.
Another Angle.

Here is what I did:

The follower on the right has had the front side anti-tilt leg cut down to allow a small amount of tilt. I've realized that in order for 5.45x39mm rounds to work in an AR style magazine, the follower has to tilt backward to compensated the taper of the round. I've had amazing success with the windowed magazines, but not so much with the standard mags. I'm not sure why that is, but just swapping out the modified follower between mags is enough to say it won't work in standard PMags. I've also found that there is a downside (albeit a slight one).

The front side of the follower tends to stick out of magazine a bit. I haven't had it move past the point it's at now, but it looks a little weird. Other than the looks, the fact that it pops out does nothing to the functionality. The bolt stop still activates properly and the bolt is not obstructed when released over it. Overall, I'm fairly pleased with it and will be converting one more to round out my mag collection to 4. If anyone decides to try this, I haven't had any issues running 5.56Nato out of this mag after converting, so it can be swapped back and forth.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Now I'm super-curious: would this work for AKs adapted to accept AR magazines? This would make the AK-74 platform amazingly cheap to shoot and stock up on high quality, new magazines. And drop-free, natch.

*Googled it.* Works like a charm.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I'm super-curious: would this work for AKs adapted to accept AR magazines? This would make the AK-74 platform amazingly cheap to shoot and stock up on high quality, new magazines. And drop-free, natch.

*Googled it.* Works like a charm.
Should work ok. I think that AK mags work the best with this ammo, but I'd imagine that if you converted an AK to use AR mags, it would work just fine. This is still in it's infancy though. I'm not sure what the follower spring life is and what will happen once the spring wears down. I mean, the windowed Pmags are, what, $17-$20? It's maybe a few dollars difference. But, then again, the mags would drop free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts