Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the collection i am building is based on historical weopons made to moder standerds. suggestions on a pocket pistol that fits the bill, my original thought was to go with a derringer. suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
right click on the words underlined in red:p

·
Premium Member
127,279 Posts
If you plan on carrying it avoid a derringer. They are next to worthless, IMO.

·
Registered
730 Posts
the collection i am building is based on historical weopons made to moder standerds. suggestions on a pocket pistol that fits the bill, my original thought was to go with a derringer. suggestions?

thanks[/QUOTE

Somebody still makes that "duck foot palm gun"(?) that I always thought would be an interesting addition to a collection. I think it's made in 9mm.

·
Registered
567 Posts
"Historical weapons" is pretty vague and ambiguous. Is there a particular time period you are looking at?

From the 1700s up to about the civil war era, a muzzleloader would be proper. There are some great reproduction "Philadelphia Derringers" available. A screw-barrel cap and ball would also be appropriate.

During the civil war, "bored through" revolvers became available, with Smith and Wesson making small rimfire revolvers (the 22CB was the first caliber available, IIRC). Small frame spur-trigger cap and balls were also widespread and many great repros of those are currently available.

By the end of the 19th century, small pistols could be had in a mind-numbing array of styles. Pepperboxes, derringers (in single barrel, double barrel, four barrel, etc.), single action, double action, double action only, rimfire, centerfire, cap and ball...you get the idea.

The double barrel superposed (over/under) made by Remington was the most popular derringer in the old west. Most were manufactured in 41 rimfire caliber. The closest pistol to the Remington that is currently manufactured is the American Derringer. They are high quality and available in several styles and many calibers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pardon the typos, I was in rush to type in between customers at my shop. I have no time period in mind at the moment, for the most part I am hunting down whims.

At the moment I am looking for a possible pocket carry that fits the bill as a historically significant firearm, made to modern satandards, I haven't quite decided if the LCP counts as being a part of history yet. I did look up American derringers and found some fun ideas. ( I already have a full size gun in bag carry and a rifle in the car, so I'm OK with a derringer to go with my kimber pepper blaster to get me to it in the small chance that I actually need to in our sleepy town)

(Noah Mercy): my collection so far has a couple swords and pole arms as well as two machetes,a Remington 700 and an old mossberg 500. its a lifelong collection I'm building with the current emphasis being on potentially needed items. (hence the potential pocket carry)

thanks all for the feedback

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
North American Arms mini revolver in 22 mag

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I might use a derringer as a fourth backup. Rather the LCP is "historical" or not, who cares. Its a damn fine pocket gun & better than anything mentioned,,,especialy the single shot palm gun. That is definitely not historical, it's just a gimmicky fad concept piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts