Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range the other night, I just happened to notice a couple of my empty cartridges had a small dent in them... so I grabbed a few more, and noticed every brass has the same mark on it.

Is this bad? Is the ejector doing this?
Will this keep me from reloading in the future?

hopefully you can see them in this pic:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have seen another thread about this issues. And it look like it is common with the XDs. I noticed mine had this same mark. If I recall from the other thread it should not be an issue when reloading. But like you I would like to hear more about it from some others myself. Looks to me like its caused by the case flipping into the slide when being ejected.

Also it seems like the the marks are not as deep as when I first bought mine. I have about 600 rounds thought my XD40SC.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I would assume it is from the case hitting the frame of the ejection port. None of my XDs have ever done that though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interestingly, I found this on some of my unspent rounds today while troubleshooting a rattle in my 10rd mag. My theory was that while I loaded the mag w/out the loading assist sleeve, the rear lip of the next round was denting the previous round as I pressed it down against the previous round and into the mag.(I hope that made sense). Any chance this could be part of your issue?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interestingly, I found this on some of my unspent rounds today while troubleshooting a rattle in my 10rd mag. My theory was that while I loaded the mag w/out the loading assist sleeve, the rear lip of the next round was denting the previous round as I pressed it down against the previous round and into the mag.(I hope that made sense). Any chance this could be part of your issue?
the rattling is a loose round in the mag when loaded. Mine do this as well, but will go away with a firm smack to seat them all the way to the back of the mag. you can actually see the loose round sliding back and forth through one of the round indicator hole

·
Registered
210 Posts
I noticed that during my research. It was the round in the 7th hole. It went away when I loaded it into the gun. It's good to know it's normal, or at least I'm not the only one.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Normal and should not be a problem for reload. However, I will go a step further and say with the higher pressure rounds (9 & 40) I might be more careful on how many times I reload the same brass. With the lower pressure 45, people routinely use the same brass 10 or more times (or intil there's a visible split). With 9 & 40 I might pay more attention once the brass got to maybe 5 times. Not sure with 9 or 40 if you can chance waiting until you see splitting. That's a question for the reloading forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts