Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fired brass has dents in it about 1/4 inch from the case mouth and they're about 1/10 of an inch wide. The case is hitting something when being ejected. Is this something I need to worry about when reloading?

WyoBob

·
Registered
657 Posts
I’m not a pro or anything but I personally would not use a case with dents in them but that’s just me...

·
Registered
21 Posts
If there has been enough of an impact so as to distort the case you're looking at 2 scenarios - #1 (and the least troublesome) the case will stick in the chamber or #2 - the case could rupture or distort causinga catasstrophic failure. Chances are all you'll ever do is stick but brass is cheap when compared to replacing your weapon or something you're a little more attached too - such as hands, eyes, etc.

I haven't had my XD40 long enough to have started to reloading yet. One or two more range trips and I'll get on that. I love filling my own 9's. :)

I wonder if you're denting from hitting the slide or are you hitting the sides of the booth at the range :?: If I stand dead center they tend to ricochet off the divider panel. Move 6 inches over and I'm all good. If it's nailing the slide you may want to see about having the extractor tuned. An earlier/later release might be possible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was shooting at an outdoor range so the divider is out. I went back and looked at the spent case that came with my XD and it has the same dent as the ones from the range. Just curious, how do they tune the extractor for a earlier/later release?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Dings like that shouldn't hurt. Your sizing die will make the OD right for the chamber, and the dent isn't enough to reduce case volume. I've reloaded all kinds of horrible looking brass with no bad effects yet. But brass is cheap enough to get, so toss it if you have doubts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To be honest - I'm not sure, but i've heard of it being done. Had a number of 'gun-nuts' for leaders back in boy scouts and they talked about all kinds of mods to their 1911s. Maybe they were just blowing smoke...worth checking out though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My XD Service does the same thing, as does my friend's SC. I've got nearly 2000 pieces of brass here, all with that same little dent. I'm making up a few test rounds to check action function, so I'll let you know later this week if they feed properly sans powder/primer. Assuming they do, my first batch of reloaded ammo will follow soon after.

edit: I'm gonna try to "steal" some brass from another .40 shooter the next time I'm at the range. I'm curious which other guns, if any, do this.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Check your ejector, its the little metal piece protruding forward on the left side of the frame. With the slide locked back, look into the port. Check to see if it bent or cracked.

Next look at the extractor. Take the slide off and look at all of the surfaces. It should be smooth with no burrs, cracks and or pieces of metal missing. If all is normal then this is how your gun just extracts.

you could try different weights of springs, i.e. new guide rod and spring combo. Pistol gear or Don's...

A small crease in the brass is no biggie, sizing dies take em right out. If the case is really malformed, i don't reuse them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

The ejector and extractor look good. I think the brass is hitting the opening in the slide on it's way out. I placed a fired brass on the breech face under the extractor and played with pivoting the brass out the hole in the slide like it was being ejected and I think this is what's happening. A little ejector "tuning" might make the case change ejection angles a bit so the cases don't hit the slide. I'll give SA a call and see what they say.

Thanks,

WyoBob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts