Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I tend to stick with HST or Gold Dot. As a general rule, barrel lengths under 4 inches I will run +P and standard pressure over. That said, as long as the barrel is over 3 inches I wouldn't really sweat running any of the standard pressure varieties and I don't really think running +P out of my 5.3" G34 would drive them too hard.

Why the above guidlines? 'Cause I feel like it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot, 124 grain standard pressure. Buy a couple of boxes (you can find it online for about $25/box of 50) shoot one box to make sure it functions properly in your gun and keep the other box for your self defense / daily carry ammo.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
There is no best. If there was, we'd all be using it.

What works in one person's pistol may not work in yours/for you, in regards to reliability, accuracy, or recoil control.

Read this: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

Find a load you think performs well, buy a few boxes, see how it works for you in reliability, accuracy, and control in rapid fire, and if you are satisfied with the results, stock up.

If you aren't, find another load and try again.

Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Based on my own testing I have switched to Underwood Xtreme Defender for my 380acp and 45acp (XDS). My primary daily carry is 10mm and remains jacketed hollow points.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
If you are ever shot with one and survive please let us know how gimmicky you found them to be.
Congratulations.

You've just given the stupidest argument possible in defense of any caliber/round.

*slow clap*

·
Registered
205 Posts
Congratulations.

You've just given the stupidest argument possible in defense of any caliber/round.

*slow clap*
+1 and LMAO .

As to the OP's question, won't call them best, but I run 124 gr. Gold Dots in my XDs. They function flawlessly (but so does everything else I've fed it), and have a solid reputation for getting the job done. Later.

Dave

·
Registered
557 Posts
Whatever Cuda. You have an opinion that suits your needs.

As for anyone who might be open minded to options other than JHP rounds: I have no relation with Underwood. I have found the Underwood Xtreme Defenders to suit my needs in **my** XDS 45 much better than JHPs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Are your needs for a bullet that has considerable over penetration with minimal to no expansion?
Your characterization of the round is your's. Mine is different.

The Xtreme Defender's characteristics suits **my** needs. No one is required to purchase it. I like it.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Whatever Cuda. You have an opinion that suits your needs.

As for anyone who might be open minded to options other than JHP rounds: I have no relation with Underwood. I have found the Underwood Xtreme Defenders to suit my needs in **my** XDS 45 much better than JHPs.
No, I have an opinion backed by years of terminal ballistics research, backed with some anecdotal first hand experience shooting large mammals, that reinforced the research.

What I don't have is an opinion swayed by marketing and gee-whiz Utoob videos.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You have a mighty hign opinion of yourself. You get an A+ and a gold star for self-esteem.

I haven't uploaded anything to youtube ever. If Underwood pays me I will upload my test results.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
On topic though, check out places like luckygunner and SGammo.com and look for the 50 round boxes of Winchester Ranger T, Federal HSTand Speer Gold Dot in various weights. Sig V-Crown also looks pretty good.

All of these should be 30 or less for 50 rounds. HST is probably the cheapest and widely viewed as the best performing defense round on the market.

Get different grain sizes. I'm fine with the standard pressure rounds from these as they've done pretty good out of a 3" barrel. Marginal decrease in performance over a 4-4.5" barrel.

Personally, I want at least 100 failure free rounds fired before I'd ok it for the job of being there when I need it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts