Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. . . I'm new to Springfield weaponry, and just bought a .45 XDs. I recently shot 50 rounds of +P 230 gr. Federal HST's and had one jam (I believe was my fault). That was the first defensive ammo I've shot through it.

My question is: is there a defensive ammo that should be AVOIDED with these guns?. . . .Ammo that just doesn't work well for whatever reason? I'll be trying some Winchester Ranger T next. --Rob

·
Registered
240 Posts
Give speer gold dots a try ....after hours of research this seems to be some of the best going.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
JMHO, but HST standard pressure and Speer Gold Dots are probably the top two for penetration and expansion performance. See which one your particular pistol(s) like and stick with it. SGAmmo has them in the 50 round boxes for just a few bucks more than a 20 round box at the LGS. They are frequently OOS, so get on the notification list.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm not aware of any SD ammo that should be avoided in the XDs. Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger T are all good choices if they run well in your particular gun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The only ammo I've seen negative posts about on this forum would be the Hornady Critical Duty, Defense, and Zombie Maxx ammo.

Something about the bullet design seems to get caught up on the feed ramps with the XD-S.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been working up a defensive load using Speer Gold Dot bullets and have been shooting a lot of water jugs ;) I know the Gold Dots expand and even the cheapo WWB JHP's expand well. The only thing I've noticed is that the JHP's are more likely than FMJ to jam when chambering the first round if you aren't real aggressive racking the slide....fine when using the slide release.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've gone through a hodge podge of different ammo brands and types and my XDs eats them all without hesitation. Shoot what works well for you. I run Ranger T +P, but the others mentioned here are also excellent choices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. . . it seems then that the XD-S isn't particularly picky about the ammo you feed it. Today, I ran 50 more rounds of the HST +P without any problems. The one problem I had with it a few days ago was during a weak-hand drill and I'm certain that I limp-wristed it, so I'm fairly confident in the HST. I have a box of Winchester Ranger T that I'll try next time out, but based on what I've read, it should feed just fine. Thanks again for all the comments--this is a great forum! --Rob

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I use Hornaday Critical Duty for SD and never had an issue.
You might consider a different SD round, the Hornady Critical Duty are designed for full size guns with longer barrels and don't expand reliably out of short barreled guns like the XDs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like Winchester Ranger T but that's because I bought 500 of them and all my .45's eat 'em up. 1911's, XD's, whatever. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
The new Barnes TAC-XPD all copper +P .45 load is fantastic.

Reactions: Heathen

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I use Hornaday Critical Duty for SD and never had an issue.
While I realize that all SD ammo is not created equal, I find the anti CD zealots a bit comical. I once told one of them that I saw a YouTube video where one round of Hornady CD ammo bounced off the ballistics gel...and he believed me. That was fun.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts