23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do y'all think about:
federal premium
165 gr. hydra-shok
jacketed hollow point
???

xd-40 service

any advice for ammo that y'all have found works well with this weapon and serves as a GREAT defense round.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
First welcome to the nut house (the forum).

That is what I have been using since I started carrying a gun.
Most of the departments in my area do use that very same load.

I was advised a long time ago to carry the same kind of ammo as the local PD for two reasons.

First: as a liability, some lawyer can't drag you into court for using some kind a exotic ammo that kills felons faster if you are using the same ammo as the PD. If it's good enough the PD, it's good enough for the rest of us.

Second: law enforcement agencies have the resorces to do the research to find out what works and what dosen't.

There is a ton of info out there that tells all kinds of stories about what bullet is the best, but what it all comes down to is " you can't take down your target if you can't hit it".

So the Hydra-shock is a good round if it is accurate and reliable in your gun. Then go a practice alot so you can hit what you are aiming at.

·
Registered
201 Posts
if you want to steer away from those, try cor bon defensive ammo, any from the regular jhp to pow'rball and dpx, i always go for the lighter load to get the most velocity out of the round
the pow'rball has a polymer tip in the hollow point's cavity that rips through tough clothing if ever needed than releases to allow the slug to expand
some hollow points won't expand if it get clogged with lint from thick clothing
just my .02 on rounds you should try
i carry three mags with me, dpx in the pistol, pow'rball and golden sabers in the pouch

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
ringojcp said:
i carry three mags with me, dpx in the pistol, pow'rball and golden sabers in the pouch
3 mags, more than enough but understandable... but 3 different types of ammo??? Why? If you don't mind me asking. Why would you carry 3 instead picking one and sticking with it? :? I've got two mags of Golden Sabre's and 9 rounds of Corbon in the last mag but that's because I only bought 1 box (25 rounds) of GS and the Corbon's were given to me by a friend who sold his G23.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts