Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new xd-45acp about 8 months ago and i have put less than 100 rounds throught it.Yesterday i was checking out my gun and noticed what to be a crack right above the grip saftey,so today i took it too my local gun shop were i shoot sometimes and showed it to them and they looked at it for 20 minutes and said there wasent sure but they think it may be a defect in the mold of the frame but that i should send it to SA to tell me for sure and if it is cracked that they will send me a brand new gun.

btw i have never droped the gun and have never let anyone shoot it.

Has anyone ever heard of a xd-45 having a cracked frame.I was blown away when i first saw it because i have never heard anything bad about the xd-45acp

I still love the gun and plan to buy another in the near future

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have an XD45C I bought about 2 months ago. I read your post and decided to look at my pistol. I field stripped the weapon and as I look at the grip safety with the pistol pointing downward, I can see a hairline type seam that goes from the right side top corner of the grip safety up to the rear right corner of the frame. It's not as defined as the molding seam you see down the middle of the frame but it is definatly there. I almost thought it was cracked. Upon further investigation found that it wasn't. Now is this some type of stress point to were mine will crack:confused: I hope others will reply to your post with additional experience/information. I'm going to make a call to Springfield about the issue. Good Luck with your XD:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I have an XD45C I bought about 2 months ago. I read your post and decided to look at my pistol. I field stripped the weapon and as I look at the grip safety with the pistol pointing downward, I can see a hairline type seam that goes from the right side top corner of the grip safety up to the rear right corner of the frame. It's not as defined as the molding seam you see down the middle of the frame but it is definatly there. I almost thought it was cracked. Upon further investigation found that it wasn't. Now is this some type of stress point to were mine will crack:confused: I hope others will reply to your post with additional experience/information. I'm going to make a call to Springfield about the issue. Good Luck with your XD:cool:
I have the same line but I am not concerned about it as I can't even get a safety pin needle to catch on it. I will keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I too have a VERY slight discoloration there but it is not cracked

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the same heart attack- this is apparently common with xd45c's. There are older threads on here that where guys have posted pics of the diagonal line that runs from the upper right corner of the gs to the upper right corner of the frame (when viewing the pistol from behind). One said SA told him it was a line in the frame mold that transfers to all frames made with that mold. It bothered me at first but not anymore. I have kept an eye on it and it hasn't changed. SA should fix that and offer to replace the frames though. It could make the gun harder to sell as prospective buyers notice it and are naturally unaware that this is "normal". When found, it is only present on XD45 compacts.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad to see that i'm not the only with this,but i fell better now and i will call sa monday and see what they will do.Thanks for the replies

Greg

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm glad to see that i'm not the only with this,but i fell better now and i will call sa monday and see what they will do.Thanks for the replies

Greg
I just checked my 45 compact and it has the exact same line. It is not a crack. It is where the plastic met as it filled the mold from two separate sprues. Its a superficial artifact of surface tension in the plastic as it was injected. Maybe the mold was slightly too cool. The injection mold pressure just didn't push it completely out. The plastic is solid and strong as hell.

Never would have noticed it if I hadn't read this thread. Hundreds of rounds and it isn't even on the radar as an issue.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but what exactly should Springfield Armory do when you call them? They will probably have you send it back for inspection and then just send it back saying its fine. Since it seems to be a common, tiny superficial defect, I would not worry about it and enjoy shooting it.

Does it look a little like this?

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
That's exactly what mine looks like, I figured it was just a look thing since I couldn't get a safety pin needle to catch on it. I'm not worried about resale value, this baby is never going anywhere but my holster or my hand :p

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I noticed it at first, and tried to spread it apart, and couldn't get it to open up. So, I figured out it's not a crack. I figured if it was a crack, I'd be able to spread it open. That and the checkering on the grip on mine had some molding flash on it, like a sharp ridge up the back. Took a needle file to it, and it feels good now, and you can't really tell I did it. I think they were supposed to do that at the factory, but didn't. I wanted a FUNCTIONAL gun, not a PRETTY gun, or I wouldn't have bought an XD. I figure if something goes wrong, SA will take care of me. If the gunshop wasn't so crowded, and I wasn't helping my mom with the Kel-Tec, I might have noticed. At the time they had SEVERAL. Oh well, no biggie, it shoots GREAT, so I'm happy. If it was a stainless $1000 custom, I might be annoyed. If it winds up being my carry weapon, it will see MANY more cosmetic blemishes in the future. I'll keep an eye on it, don't think it's a big deal. :-|

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's exactly what mine looks like! I'm glad others have been seeing it. If it becomes an issue I'm sure Springfield will take care if it. Until then, HAPPY SHOOTING:cool:

I just checked my 45 compact and it has the exact same line. It is not a crack. It is where the plastic met as it filled the mold from two separate sprues. Its a superficial artifact of surface tension in the plastic as it was injected. Maybe the mold was slightly too cool. The injection mold pressure just didn't push it completely out. The plastic is solid and strong as hell.

Never would have noticed it if I hadn't read this thread. Hundreds of rounds and it isn't even on the radar as an issue.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but what exactly should Springfield Armory do when you call them? They will probably have you send it back for inspection and then just send it back saying its fine. Since it seems to be a common, tiny superficial defect, I would not worry about it and enjoy shooting it.

Does it look a little like this?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
if you shoot it enough, maybe your hand will wear off the molding seam. :) as I recall, this is the 2nd case (that I've observed) of someone concerned that a molding seam is a crack.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Here too, both my Compact and my CompTac have the line, no worries. BTW I have never heard of an XD getting a crack in the frame from anything less than a case rupture or something similar, even violently throwing it to the ground would likely just produce scuff marks in the plastic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I figure they will tell me its no big deal also since everyone seems to have it on there gun,i dont expect that they will do anything if its just cosmetic issue,i was just wanting to stay on the safe side.From what i hear about sa customer service if anything ever did happen sa will take care of it,that is if it developed into a crack.I'm not worried about resale because i will never sell it.thanks again for all your responces.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts