Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my father in law has pretty bad arthritis. So much so that the last joint on his trigger finger is bent and the joint is sore. He loves shooting his Xd40, but the trigger safety gets caught and rubs his finger joint. Is there a way to remove the trigger safety or replace the trigger for a smooth one that does not have the trigger safety integrated?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Has he tried contacting the trigger with the center of the pad of his finger instead of the joint? That's the proper placement of the finger on the trigger anyway.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Maybe a different gun is a good idea, and 40 recoil probably doesn't help either.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
take the damned thing out if that's what he wants. kind of a useless safety anyway...

The way I look at it, is that it's more of a "dropping the gun" safety. I'm not sure how it would "bother" anyone, when my finger is on the trigger, I hardly realize it's there.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Removing the trigger safety is easy enough. Its just a roll pin and a small spring. Some will argue there are liability issues. All you're doing is making the trigger just like the trigger on the majority of guns out there.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The way I look at it, is that it's more of a "dropping the gun" safety. I'm not sure how it would "bother" anyone, when my finger is on the trigger, I hardly realize it's there.
isn't that what the grip safety does as well?

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Yeah, there's also an internal safety I think. I'm not sure how that works though.
it blocks the striker from a full release unless it is pushed up into the slide and out of the way by the striker safety lever that is connected to the trigger bar.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
If arthritis has affected the far end distal joint on the finger to the degree where the center portion of the trigger is causing discomfort it will be just the beginning of the problems.

You could look at other pistols that don't have the trigger safety. Maybe a 1911 platform's trigger would be ideal. I'd also suggest moving to 9mm, the reduced recoil may lessen the impact on the wrist and elbow where arthritis may also be present. While thinking of recoil, is it really the center portion of the trigger being depressed causing the problem or is it his finger sliding down the trigger as the muzzle flips up? I ask this because my alloy 1911 has a greater muzzle flip than the steel frame and my finger slides down the face of the grooved trigger causing discomfort. If the problem is the finger sliding maybe a gun with a trigger safety but in 9mm might be an option.

It also may be a time to start thinking revolver. I have a good friend who had to move to revolvers because the severe arthritis made pistol racking a show stopper.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
The lower bore axis of a CZ will help the muzzle flip, and if the problem is the trigger finger sliding down the face of the trigger, the CZ will have a smooth trigger that doesn't have the trigger safety. The drawback of the CZ is the slide is lower profile and more difficult to grip to rack, and if the OP's father has arthritis in the finger(s) bad enough to be causing trigger problems the small profile of the CZ slide might be problematic. But it is a good suggestion, I like the feel of my CZ75 over my wife's 92FS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts