Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Congrats!

I will be hunting the Pennsylvania big woods the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the week after.....I can't wait.

Padraig

·
15,927 Posts
Snagged a young 8 pointer, on the trail of a doe, and ignoring my clumsy smashing through branches. Probably less than 20' away when I shot.
How will he learn from his mistake.... 😊 Good job.

·
Registered
19,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of thin antlers for the width and height.

·
21,880 Posts
Kind of thin antlers for the width and height.
Well, it is 2020 and resources are stretched pretty thin right now.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Glad to hear the reports. I got a doe at 60 yds with the S&W 629 last Sunday, then the Covid got me and shut me down this weekend. Hopefully I'll get another chance but with the bow in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I picked up night-shift this weekend for overtime. This week is the first time they've posted overtime in the building since.. March? April? So I picked it up. After hearing the wind whipping around today while trying to sleep, I'm almost glad I missed out on opening day. The first time I'll be able to get out in the woods is Thursday/Friday. So we'll see what deer are still around. Saw a 6 point walk through last time I bow-hunted 2 weeks ago, but he was out of range. If it'd been rifle season, it'd be a different story.

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Today went rather well
Just before 7 am. This guy came walking by.

The Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 BA and a well placed shot he ran about 50 yds and dropped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
Didn't even get a tag this year. The only ones available were so far away it would have probably been a full day drive to get to the hotel, then a week long stay in a hotel prior to the season to scout things out. Then it would have been another few days to a week to finally shoot one.

Tags, hotels, gas and meals would have been close to $1,000. It's just not worth it.

Most years I can go stay with family, but with Covid nobody was going to let anyone stay over

Instead I went in on a half hog and a 1/4 side of beef with my family and it cost me $500.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I hunt vicariously through my son since he keeps the freezer full of venison. Shot a 5 point on one side last weekend. The other side appeared to be removed by a bigger buck earlier in the season. It was a bit of a long shot in a small opening in the brush, so he only scoped one side of the rack before a clean kill. The place we go keeps us in 8-point bucks or larger most years. We are very fortunate.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I shot two small whitetails on Nov 7.

They were a button buck and a doe.

They were quite tasty 😋.

I used my Remington Model Seven in 243 Win with 85 Gr Nosler Partitions. Both were DRT and never moved after being hit.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm kinda pissed off at myself right now. I'm out in the blind, as I type this (wonders of modern technology, eh?) and just had an opportunity at a really nice 6+ point buck. Came through the woods almost head-on straight in towards me, I got all excited, had the rifle up and ready, he went behind a group of trees, and I kept waiting for him to pop out the other side. Rocked my head back and forth a bit trying to peek around the trees to see where he was, but he must have seen the motion and didn't like it because he started bounding off. Never stopped. It's early yet, so maybe he'll swing through again tonight. It would make my day if I could update this post with a picture of a downed buck.

Edit: Needed to add a bit. I haven't shot a deer in two years, I think. Small 3 or four point, if I remember right. So this 6 would have been the biggest buck I've ever shot. My heart was beating harder today than when I shot my bear a few months ago. So I think I'm pissed at myself for letting my excitement win out over my patience. I know I shouldn't have moved, should have just let the deer take his time akd get to where I needed him to be to take my shot, but the excitement of seeing a buck, a nice buck no less, when I usually am not seeing anything this time of the year, got the better of me. Learning experiences. I don't care how old you are or how long you've been doing it, there's always something to find out that you didn't know yesterday.

·
Registered
19,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I much prefer getting skunked to taking a bad shot an leaving a wounded animal out in the woods.
My largest deer ever was a 7 pointer. I took a bad shot at it. It was ass at me, but I could see antlers to 1 side. I figured if I shot to the anterior side of the hind end, I'd either kill it or miss. I killed it, but it was so marginal I should have never taken the shot. I nicked the shoulder blade, and bone shrapnel went into the neck. After seeing how close I came to leaving an animal in pain running around, I am much more picky about my shots. My basic point is, don't have too much regret over the shot not taken.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts