Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you think we will ever have a decocker based XD? would you want that? just happy the way it is? + and - of them.....i want to get a sig, but not sure about it......guess im just looking for info...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't want one in the pipe and the weapon decocked, not unless I can recock it without pulling the slide.

I don't like having a weapon with a hammer that doesn't have a decocker.

·
Registered
539 Posts
RLLOVER said:
I don't want one in the pipe and the weapon decocked, not unless I can recock it without pulling the slide.

I don't like having a weapon with a hammer that doesn't have a decocker.
Yea... i must agree...

There is no point to a decocker on a hammerless gun like ours becuase once you decock, you can't "recock" without ejecting the round.

The entire concept of having a decocker exists as a hammer accessory feature.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The decocker feature has not so much to do with hammers as it does the action of the firearm. It is used on firearms that can fire the first shot DA. Like the HK USP. You could have a hammerless action that was SA/DA and you could have a decocker.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I_Route said:
The decocker feature has not so much to do with hammers as it does the action of the firearm. It is used on firearms that can fire the first shot DA. Like the HK USP. You could have a hammerless action that was SA/DA and you could have a decocker.
Well i'm sure your rite in that there could be a hammerless sa/da with a decocker but i don't know of any and the usp does have a hammer. But regardless, my point was that you could not recock a semiauto pistol that does not have a hammer without expellling the chambered round and feeding in a new one. Am i wrong?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Eric_Oh said:
I_Route said:
Well i'm sure your rite in that there could be a hammerless sa/da with a decocker but i don't know of any and the usp does have a hammer. But regardless, my point was that you could not recock a semiauto pistol that does not have a hammer without expellling the chambered round and feeding in a new one. Am i wrong?
I would say you are correct but add that the pistol must me SA only for it to be totally true.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes, I would buy an SA/DA XD with a decocker. I would also by a DAO XD. Until then, I have to wait until the 24/7 gets CA approval.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
yep--to put in a decocker you'd need a DA trigger for the whole thing to make sense. That means bigtime redesign. Would I buy it? Probably not. I would, however consider a DAO....but what they have today is just as good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eric_Oh said:
I_Route said:
But regardless, my point was that you could not recock a semiauto pistol that does not have a hammer without expellling the chambered round and feeding in a new one. Am i wrong?
You are wrong. Take a look at the Walther P99 AS platform. To recock it, all you have to do is pull the slide back a 1/4". No spent round, still the first one in the pipe.

I actually wouldn't mind a DA/SA XD platform. I like that set up on my P99, I guess it's just one additional safety on a gun without an external safety. Although with the XD I feel the (stock) trigger pull is long enough that I am confident about not having an ND on the first fire.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i stand corrected. thank you for the clarification and bringing the walther to my attention.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No, I don't want a DA/SA XD. The DA first shot is slower and I don't like two different trigger pulls.

I would like an XD with a "1911 like" thumb safety. That way I could feel better about getting a trigger job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SyCo said:
I_Route said:
But regardless, my point was that you could not recock a semiauto pistol that does not have a hammer without expellling the chambered round and feeding in a new one. Am i wrong?
You are wrong. Take a look at the Walther P99 AS platform. To recock it, all you have to do is pull the slide back a 1/4". No spent round, still the first one in the pipe.
I'm pretty sure the XD does the same thing as the Walther in this respect. I've done some dry fire drills and only had to rack the slide slightly to reset the striker. This doesn't really address the problem, as ejecting a round or not isn't the issue. Having to manipulate the slide in any way will significantly slow you down and will really be a problem if you only have one hand available for whatever reason. Personally, I don't want my carry pistols to require anything more than a trigger pull to fire them. DAO, DA/SA, the Glock SafeAction, and the XD's USA, all accomplish this.

As far as recocking a hammerless pistol, there's nothing inherent about having a hammer that makes a pistol more of a candidate for DA function. Just as the DA trigger pull cocks the hammer on a Sig, it could also be cocking the striker on an XD. This is how a Glock works. Although the striker is partially cocked on a Glock, the trigger pull is still setting that last half of striker travel. It would take some significant rework of the XD action and add a fair amount of complexity to it. So, I'll keep mine as it is, thank you.

Mike

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Uh oh...here we go again.

I hope not. The reason I have an XD is because of its simplicity. No safeties, hammers or decockers, attached to stagey d/a triggers with the crunch-tick feel.

I don't want any pistol with a de-cocker. I have shot several and played around with them, but it just adds complexities I really don't want to fool with.

I'll stick to my XD, Hi-Power and 1911s, thank you. The Taurus 24/7 in 45acp looks interesting, but I have yet to try out it's trigger.

If the lack of safties on any of those pistols bother you (and they all 3 have plenty of safety built in) then you need to move on to another design.

-Brickboy240

1 - 16 of 16 Posts