• XD45 Service

• XD45 Tactical

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on here reading for a while about the XD's. I'm getting one within the next week or so. Every time I'm sure about what caliber/size I change my mind. So I figured I'd put up a poll for some additional advice. I'm going to be using the XD for home defense and a range gun. I'm leaning toward the XD-9 Service for the cheaper ammo and I know with todays ammo it can be (arguably) just as potent as any other caliber. But the Tactical would suit my purposes as a range gun too. I probably won't be carrying and if I do I'll pick up a sc down the road. .40 and 45acp are also in the picture and I know about the barrel swaps you can do with the .40. So knowing alot of the pro's and cons have me doing a constant flip flop. Any help/advice is appriciated.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
The only person who really can answer this, is you. For my decision was many factors. I chose the 40 service for several reason. The bigger grip for my better hands, 40 because we already have another 40 (plus I feel the 40 is a mix between the two) I am more accurate with the service model, I do carry it now 24/7, even thou its a bigger weapon, I can it well. I don't shoot a huge amount of rounds, so the cost is not an issue. So I guess its like buying a car, depends on what it for and who is using it!! Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If the XDm had been a choice I would have picked that one. I think the .40 tact will service you well. If you decide to start shooting IDPA or USPSA type matches I strongly suggest you look at the XDm in .40. It is truly the most versatile of the XD line.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
As for caliber choice, only you can answer that. A gun is not any good if you can't control your shots. If you can control a .40, but not a .45 then you get a .40. As for the barrel length, for a range and HD gun not going to be used for carry, I would get the tactical model. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should also try to factor in future use as well. do you shoot USPSA,IDPA or Steel Challenge? If so you want a gun that can be used for all applications. The capacity on the .40 Service and Tactical is a little lacking, ever considered the XDM, 16 rounds of .40 sweet, they are also releasing the XDM in 9mm soon with a reported 19 +1 capacity. I use a service model for IDPA and USPSA production and am very happy with it. I am in the process of switching over to a XDM .40 for all my competition needs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XDm in 9mm will be a purchase closer to the first of the year. I don't know that I will get into competition shooting, although it is very interesting.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Went through the same deision myself not to long ago...and went for the XD9 service...Not to big for carry and big enough to shoot some competition for practical practice on draw and fire. Went with 9mm for faster back on target and cheaper ammo, not that any is cheap these days. I also figured if I really got into competion I caould step up to 45 then. If you are not going to carry it at all then I would say the tactical longer sight radious for target. If you go with 9mm I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P JHP. 124 is most common according to instructors at TDI here in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would say since you seem to be confident in the 9mm, that is a good round for you. Being cheap to shoot is a big plus for a 9mm handgun. Plus, like you said, you can find some pretty potent defensive loads for it nowdays.

Personally I say go for the service model to start with, don't really have reason to speak of, just seems like a good place to start to me. Nothing wrong with the tactical model of course. I have a xd40 service myself and it works great as a range gun, but isn't too big if I want to carry it as well. If you ever did want to start carrying, the service model would work well for you, while a tactical might be a little on the big side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the XD-40 Tactical is the way I'm going to go. I can get a barrel and mags to change it to 9mm later anyway. And the people who have done that seem pleased with it. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
If its for self defense carry, get the .45acp and dont look back.

·
Registered
647 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts