Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are torn between two handguns for our first one. The main goal is to get one that fits her to a T, and I will make do until we get a second one for me specifically. This isn't too big of a deal, though, since her final two happen to be my final two as well. We have narrowed it down to the XDm 4.5" 9mm, and a FNH FNX9. Both feel great in the hand, and have a very natural draw to sighted for both of us. So fit of both isn't going to be a deciding factor, unfortunately. She has been flipping back and forth on which one a bit, and we have even done up a pro and con list, and it ended up a wash.

The primary use will be range shooting for pleasure, and home defense (we have a 12 gauge for the main enforcer). Eventually, we would like to get into competition shooting on some level.

I am hoping for some feedback on how well the XDm does as a competition shooter, and how much after market support there is? Also, any key reliability issues to keep an eye out for regarding general maintenance/ should upgrade ASAP. I know the XDm is a reliable handgun, but there is always a weak leak (comparatively speaking) in any chain.

As well, if any of you have direct experience with the FNX9 as well and would like to toss in a bit or two, feel free!

P.S.
My personal preference is for the XDm because it appears to have greater aftermarket support, and I have experience shooting the XD and found it to be a pleasure and real joy! I can only imagine the XDm is even better (won't get to shoot either one until we buy them due to no ranges renting, and nobody I know owns either) with the better ergonomics, nicer trigger, and improved barrel.

Other options, but not likely:
SIG 226 (bit expensive and a bit heavier than she liked, feels good though)
Glock 17 or 34 (not too hot on the feel of either, but from experience shoot nicely)
M&P9 (Just didn't have the "feel" or "fit" of the FNX and XDm)
Px4... same, lacked feel
Other similar hand guns are not carried at my LGS as it is fairly new and the more established shops either focus on rifles, or have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I am not looking online, because I am very loyal to locally owned businesses and good customer service.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Haven't shot the FNX9, although I'm a fan of FN generally. I have the XDm 9 4.5 and I love it. A lot.

Unfortunately, I can't really help you with the main thrust of your question, but if competition is a big thing for you, maybe you'd be interested in holding off until you can look at the new XDm 5.25 Competition model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't shot the FNX9, although I'm a fan of FN generally. I have the XDm 9 4.5 and I love it. A lot.

Unfortunately, I can't really help you with the main thrust of your question, but if competition is a big thing for you, maybe you'd be interested in holding off until you can look at the new XDm 5.25 Competition model.
I was excited to see the XDm 5.25 competition model. That might be a winner for me when it comes time to get my own. Not so sure if it would be a good fit for the wife, though, the one longer barrel gun she held (G34) she didn't like the balance of it, beyond the grip.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I vote for the XDm. Can't hardly go wrong there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was excited to see the XDm 5.25 competition model. That might be a winner for me when it comes time to get my own. Not so sure if it would be a good fit for the wife, though, the one longer barrel gun she held (G34) she didn't like the balance of it, beyond the grip.
That might be another point for the XDm. If you think you might eventually get the XDm 5.25, then getting the XDm 4.5 now would allow you to share magazines and other accessories between the guns.

·
Registered
581 Posts
When in doubt... get both.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are you able to test each one out?

See if you can rent both and test them out. Make your decision from that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I doubt you're going to get many people on XDtalk telling you to get the FN...
That is why I never actually asked which one to get, and instead asked some specific questions about the XDm... but I am long winded, and added in other who ha and what not and probably came off with a bit of "which one". I do appreciate the responses confirming the XDm is a great choice.

I know the answer to my questions (at least I think I do) but was hoping for answers without that bias influencing the responses.

Those questions were:

Any reliability issues I should address ASA?P (the easy answer, the striker retention pin, this will be addressed, but was wondering if anything else?)

How is it for competition? (With 1" groups from a bench at 25 yards, this is a "yes" but was hoping those with experience would confirm or deny)

After market support? (Pretty good, not like Glock or 1911, but there are quality options for the regular mods, like trigger job, polished this and that, sights, etc.)

frdfandc:
I am not, I wish I could since it would make it much easier (maybe, I hear the FNX9 and XDm both are very nice to shoot). My LFS owner owns several variations of each, and he said we might be able to get to the range together sometime before we pull the trigger, but I work mostly nights and weekends, so that is hard to coordinate.

I have A LOT of experience, personally, at the range. I was NRA certified rifle, pistol, and shotgun instructor, and did some .22 rifle and high power rifle competitions. I have shot lots of handguns, as well, mostly 1911's, Glocks, and SIGs (very wealthy mentor that has a very large gun collection, but he has passed away). My favorite were the SIGs and 1911s, as well the FNP was a real treat, but it was "only" a 9mm, and I liked the larger calibers for the sheer "thump" factor (I was 13-17, so that was cool). But looking back, I shot the FNP9 the best, and shot my friend's XD similarly well a couple years ago, but he has since moved.

This won't be my last firearm purchase, but I want to make sure it is a sound purchase since it will be wife's first, and I want it to be a great experience for her from the get go (she shot a gun for the first time a couple weeks ago, a 12 gauge shotgun, and was quite the natural... hit more pigeons than I did, but I have never been good at that for some reason, even though I am a nail driver on the range with a rifle and handgun... heck, I almost do better with a handgun at skeet than a shotgun.)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
T
Those questions were:

Any reliability issues I should address ASA?P (the easy answer, the striker retention pin, this will be addressed, but was wondering if anything else?)

How is it for competition? (With 1" groups from a bench at 25 yards, this is a "yes" but was hoping those with experience would confirm or deny)

After market support? (Pretty good, not like Glock or 1911, but there are quality options for the regular mods, like trigger job, polished this and that, sights, etc.)
)

The whole retention pin deal is somewhat over blown. Yes, a few do break. My opinion is that they are probably damaged during factory assembly or even owner assembly. After several thousand rounds and 2-3x that number or dry fires (no snap caps), mine looks pristine. I did buy 4 spare pins and have them in the case for potential future need. They were like 50 cents each at the local autoparts supply house. From memory, I think they are 3x16mm roll pins. The spiral ones can be bought from gun vendors or even Grainger.

1" groups? Not with this boy yank'n the bang switch.:oops: Sorry, can't help you with that one -- my skills are not up to the challenge!

Lot's of information on DIY trigger improvements and after market parts. Yeah, not like a Glock, but they have been out a lot longer. A heavy guide rod really helps me keep on target. I filled the factory guide rod with tungsten soldered in place. Added PRP's basic kit with home polished striker,sear, striker channel and trigger bar. Way smoother, crisp and lighter even with the factory springs. Any of the 3 well known trigger upgrades will be welcome -- I chose PRP for the ease of installation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The whole retention pin deal is somewhat over blown. Yes, a few do break. My opinion is that they are probably damaged during factory assembly or even owner assembly. After several thousand rounds and 2-3x that number or dry fires (no snap caps), mine looks pristine. I did buy 4 spare pins and have them in the case for potential future need. They were like 50 cents each at the local autoparts supply house. From memory, I think they are 3x16mm roll pins. The spiral ones can be bought from gun vendors or even Grainger.

1" groups? Not with this boy yank'n the bang switch.:oops: Sorry, can't help you with that one -- my skills are not up to the challenge!

Lot's of information on DIY trigger improvements and after market parts. Yeah, not like a Glock, but they have been out a lot longer. A heavy guide rod really helps me keep on target. I filled the factory guide rod with tungsten soldered in place. Added PRP's basic kit with home polished striker,sear, striker channel and trigger bar. Way smoother, crisp and lighter even with the factory springs. Any of the 3 well known trigger upgrades will be welcome -- I chose PRP for the ease of installation.
Thank you very much! The retention pin deal has come off to me, anyways, as a small deal that is hit or miss. If I had to guess, I would think it has more to do with alignment or pre-damaged during manufacturing. I was just going to get some from grainger as well, if need be.

As for 1" groups, a couple reviews I found got those sizes from a bench with sand bags... not something many if anybody could pull off under other circumstances, but shows the mechanical ability to be phenomenal.

That is the route I was looking at going, PRP for a trigger job kit, then just hitting up the bench grinder with a polishing wheel, or slowly adding in aftermarket polished parts over time as she got better and the benefits would make a real difference. My LGS owner is a gunsmith, as well, and said he can do most any modification for a nominal fee if I can't handle it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts