Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to give the XD a try. I have found a .45 GAP Tactilcal model locally, it comes with a holster and ammo. This is the blued version. I have seen and heard from a number of people that the standard finish is not very good and SA will put a good finish on the pistol free of charge. Will Springfield re-finish my new gun or does it actually have to be rusting before they will mess with it? Also, are the stainless 4" or 5" models in .45 GAP actually out yet? If yes, is there an online source? Thanks.

ranburr

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not sure I can answer all of your questions, but perhaps some of them...

Personally I think the .45 GAP Tactical sounds like a great option. I think you'll like it a lot. As for the finish, from what I've read, some people seem to have issues, some don't. My XD is a 9mm Tactical, with around 2,000 rounds through it so far, and the factory finish on mine is perfect. If you were to have problems with it, I don't think there's any issue with Springfield taking care of it.

As far as two-tone XD's in .45 GAP, I bet ajames can tell you more, but it's listed at Impact Guns (http://www.impactguns.com), so it looks like they at least intend to have one. None in stock, so I don't know if any are actually around yet.

Good luck!

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
They may be available but they are darn hard to locate. I just bought a XD subcompact 9mm on saturday and like it so much that I tried to order the 5 inch Bi-tone 45 GAP from a friend today. He called 7 distributors and no-one had them so I just had him get me the standard 5 inch 45 GAP. Its actually coming as the value package (extra mag, holster, ammo, etc.). Should be there by the time I get home on Saturday. I am psyched to play with it. Nice thing about being in the country is I can just step out the back door and have at it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have three XD's, one in stainless. Oldest is nearly 18 months old. No rust on any of them. Personally I think the finish issue is overblown. Of the hundreds, I'm sure thousands, of XD's out there I think there are relatively few that have finish issues. Don't let this one minor disturbance sway you from your decision to get an XD. They are fine weapons.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with Tom Swift. Between my wife and I, we own four XD's, and have never had an issue with rust, and we live on the Oregon Coast, the rust capital of the free world.

I believe it's all a matter of maintenance. You take care of it, and you won't have a problem, but if you sweat on it and don't clean it off, it will rust, just like any other blued piece of metal will. I've shot mine in the rain and I carry one of them every single day, in all kinds of weather. The finish is as new, and the first one is almost three years old. I was told I got the very first 357 Sig sold in the state of Oregon, and waited almost six months to get it.

Again, if you take proper care of it, with good products, you won't have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
875 Posts
The rust issue is not at big a deal as everyone makes out. I have two XDs that I have never had any probles with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you dont take care of it, I'm sure it can rust. Or if you are always in a climate that has alot of moisture, then I'm sure you might have problems.

My first one was 18mos old without rust problems, but now both of my XDs are less than 3 months old.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am on the TX Gulf Coast and I often go bay/offshore fishing. Thus it will be subjected to salt spray. I do clean my guns, but it might take a day or two depending on how the fish are biting. Thus is I am concerned about the finish. I have used Glocks in the past without a problem. I just could not stand that huge grip and I was not willing to drop to a smaller caliber.

ranburr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts