Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my latest build, I ended up getting a lower build kit in FDE. I've never really been an FDE kind of guy, but it was nearly $40 cheaper to get the lower build kit in FDE than black. I ended up getting a $3 box of RIT dye and dyed the furniture black. It turned out great. It isn't an exact match to the Magpul black (as you can see by comparing the stock, grip and trigger guard to the PMag). I may have left it in too long. I meant to only leave it in for 2 hours but I forgot to set a timer, forgot about it and only remembered it about 8 hours later. It is actually a blacker black than the stock PMag. It almost makes the PMag look like it has some tan in it. Weird. It looks great though. I could probably match my magazines up by dying them for a couple of hours, but it isn't too much of a noticeable difference to bother me.

Not bad for $3.

Before and after:

Next to stock black PMag:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I honestly can not tell a difference from the pic. Good job.

Personally, I like the FDE look. Too bad you ruined everything....... :cry:
j/k. :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Anybody done brighter colors?
My wife want purple (lsu fan).

I used plastic spray paint, but wonder if dye would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great job, You probably will save some people some money with the results. Not sure how many times I have found something on the forums for sale cheap but being the wrong color and passing on it. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive done some RIT dying myself. FDE to black and it turned out nice, can get a good color match just by checking the parts periodically and redip if necessary. Good job OP

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hmm, I have an orange Speedfeed stock for my 500 that I bought for $30 because the black one was $80. I was contemplating finding an orange forend and doing the shotgun silver for the marine/boat look.

I feel like I would prefer it black after looking at this.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I think the OP made the right call. Black goes better with the handguard and stainless barrel. So this method doesn't scratch off or chip?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I think the OP made the right call. Black goes better with the handguard and stainless barrel. So this method doesn't scratch off or chip?
It only goes down so far so if you get a deep scratch or a gouge in it, it will show the original color. But no it will not chip or flack off

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, the dye doesn't rub off after its dry. It's a great way to change the color and you would have to gouge the plastic pretty deep in order to show the original color. Besides, all you would need to do is a quick touch up job if it happened anyway.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, picked up some Rit Dye today from CVS. In case anyone was curious, Speedfeed shotgun stocks can't be died. 1hr soak did nothing, rinsed right off.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It was orange. I had black dye. But it didn't do anything. Not a thing. It looks the same, the dye just rinsed off. I think the stock may be nylon or some other polymer. My fingertips have funky shades now :D

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
It was orange. I had black dye. But it didn't do anything. Not a thing. It looks the same, the dye just rinsed off. I think the stock may be nylon or some other polymer. My fingertips have funky shades now :D

Well Rit is know not to work on some materials. I guess that's one of them.

Try Krylon spray paint. It will do the job!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts