Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a M44 Mosin, and I found one locally, made in 1946, with all matching serial numbers and a bayonet - not sure what other accessories come with it - I forgot to ask.

They want $249, and it looks like it is in excellent condition. Is that a fair price? It seems high to me.

·
Premium Member
12,144 Posts
I'd say it's high. They've been hard to find for the past year or so, but even with that I wouldn't pay more than maybe $150 for a garden-variety M44. Numbers-matching is good, but not that good. OTOH, they aren't making any more of them, so if it's speaking to you than I can't tell you what to do. ;)

Edit:
Aim Surplus has them for $199: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=335&name=Russian+Mosin+Nagant+M44+7.62x54R+Carbine

Maybe the supply is finally starting to dry up on these. See if he'll come down a bit just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i got one that was in pretty good (shootable) shape for $100

·
Registered
668 Posts
They are getting harder and harder to find at a good price !!! Aim had laminate stocked M44's for 300 a piece and they sold out in a day :shock::shock:
Local deals might be a better choice if they can be found. Glad I got my 2 M44's from Widener's for 99 bucks each 2 year's ago :twisted::twisted:.

·
Registered
13 Posts
$250 is pretty steep for a M44. I recently bought one from a private seller for $150 and it has a great stock, matching numbers, clean bore and all the goodies (i.e, ammo pouches, sling, oiler). Unless they are offering you all the supplies I mentioned and a spam can of 7.62x54R ammunition I wouldn't buy it. M44s and M38s are getting rare but not rare enough for sellers to charge more than $200. Private sellers seem to getting the idea in there head that the Mosin carbines are made of gold or platinum all of a sudden now that they are not as common as they were five years ago.

The most I'd go would be $200 and I wouldn't settle for less. If the seller won't buckle then you're better off going to a local gunshow and finding one there. Best of luck with your negotiations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts