Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down the road I am debating on getting either a .40 or a .45 XD. I already own an XD 9MM Service and wondering how much more .40 and 45's kick comparitively to a 9mm. I have only shot a 9mm and .38 and have never shot anything else. What is your opinion on the kick? how much more is it?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I can tell you the 45ACP isn't really that noticeable. A little more but not much. I have never fired a .40 so I couldn't tell you about that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well honestly my Beretta M9 probably kicks just as much as my .40XD. Honestly unless you are trying to stop a bus, there is no need for a .45. I would go with a .40 service. Just my opinion. Alot of people say the .40 has alot of snap, or recoil I do not notice at all.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
The 45 is a bit of a stronger push, and the 40 is a bit of a stronger snap. I know that may not make too much sense, but once you shoot them you will be able to tell.

My question is...why do you want something other than a 9MM? If you don't feel you need the 40/45 then sticking with the 9mm has some great benefits... You can share mags/ammo, and ammo is much cheaper.

If you see the need for something bigger, I would go all out and get the 45!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well honestly my Beretta M9 probably kicks just as much as my .40XD. Honestly unless you are trying to stop a bus, there is no need for a .45. I would go with a .40 service. Just my opinion. Alot of people say the .40 has alot of snap, or recoil I do not notice at all.
Yeah, but buses look so good when you mount them on the wall!:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have shot the .40 and .45 and both are great cartridges however i went with the .40 because i felt i could control it better. Its gotta be your opinion. If you have a range that rents them or maybe see a guy at the range with one try one out. Im sure you will like them they do kick more than a 9MM but its not like a .500 mag or anything

Cadet Wilson

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only .40 cal I have ever shot was my cousins Steyr... My XD.45 feels about the same. The XD does not even feel like a .45 cal when I shot it. Very controlable recoil.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Never shot a .40, but the .45 is very manageable. It's a very comfortable and controllable (and fun) gun to shoot. It's a bit expensive to keep her fed though.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Recoil-wise, both the .40 and .45 is gonna have a little more kick than the 9mm, but neither are bad at all. If you can shoot a 9mm well, than you can shoot a .40 or .45 well also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 45 is a bit of a stronger push, and the 40 is a bit of a stronger snap. I know that may not make too much sense, but once you shoot them you will be able to tell.

My question is...why do you want something other than a 9MM? If you don't feel you need the 40/45 then sticking with the 9mm has some great benefits... You can share mags/ammo, and ammo is much cheaper.

He nailed it. I would say that there isn't much of a difference between the two though. I have and like both. Get the 40 now and the 45 later.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
As others have said the .45 is really manageable. See if you can rent one. The XD 45 is a joy to shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts

That is a ridiculous statement. The 45 is a great self defense round and the caliber of choice for tons of people. The 9, 40, and 45 are all pretty comparable as far as recoil goes IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
That is a ridiculous statement. The 45 is a great self defense round and the caliber of choice for tons of people. The 9, 40, and 45 are all pretty comparable as far as recoil goes IMO.
lol! I wasn't gonna say anything, but yeah..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
835 Posts

+1

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want something bigger down the road because i fear that I have an intruder that might be under the influence of a substance a 9mm wouldn't be big enough to take someone down but I have heard from a few people its really all about shot placement. I don't know how many others would agree. I DO know that ammo is more expensive for the .40 and .45 as well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It is all about shot placement. A .45 may have a slightly better chance of a 1 shot stop than a 9mm, but the fact is alot depends on the individual person. The only sure way to drop someone with one shot is a good head shot, or severing the spinal column up high. You could put a premium .45 JHP right through a crackheads heart, and he could keep coming at you for maybe half a minute. I've heard hunters talk of bucks that ran over 100 yards after a shot that was found to have exploded their hearts. It's amazing what adrenalin will do.

·
Registered
948 Posts
i have 3 9mm xd4,xd5tac.,xd(m)if i was to ccw and also always try to think about cost of ammo because i want to be able to shoot alot i would pick the 40 power and speed the best of the 9mm and the 45 acp cost of ammo a little more than the 9mm a little less than the 45acp alot of pd's now carrey the 40 even the boarder patrol has went to the 40.it does have a little more snap but not much diff. than your 9mm. good luck i hope this helps:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts