Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t done much serious pistol shooting for 20 years. I have spent many range hours for rifle and shotgun competitions. The XD was recommended to me be a retired LEO and one of the top IPSC shooters in my area. After watching some of his matches I decided it was time to get reacquainted with pistol shooting. I bought a very slightly used .40 service model. I hadn’t shot this caliber, it really came of age after I had stopped shooting pistol.
Choosing between a 9mm and the .40 was pretty much decided by which I was able to find at a reasonable price first. Since I believe owning both is in the future I didn’t get overly hung up on the caliber. Way too much discussion on this issue has already occurred.
I have fired about 600 rounds in the past 8 weeks. I primarily use WWB but also a box of CCI and UMC for comparison. Most of the WWB was 165gr and something around 150 rounds of 180gr.
No trouble at all to report. All ammunition performed well. The WWB is a bit dirty but it is priced well for my needs. I can notice a slight recoil difference between the 165 vs. 180, though I’m hard pressed to describe it. The best I could say is I feel the 180 pushes back a little harder where the 165 seems to snap a bit more. Muzzle jump or total felt recoil wasn’t appreciably different for me.
I had trigger pull issues at the beginning. The amount of pre-travel was quite different than any of my other firearms. Some of my rifles trigger pull was around 2oz. Once I accustomed myself to the trigger my groups became tighter and reasonably acceptable from 10-15 yards. I’m still struggling to get good groups beyond 15 yards. Not the guns issue.
I’m temporarily using a Fobus paddle holster. I have a Milt Sparks on order and will use it as my primary carry holster when it arrives. The Fobus has worked fine, pretty much what I would expect from a $20 holster. I have Don’s guide rod and a 22# spring. I just installed the rod and spring and have not fired any rounds with it yet. I do prefer the lighter spring for manually working the slide. I’ll hold my opinion until I have an opportunity to shoot with this setup. I also ordered an I-Shot bag from www.pistol-gear.com. Great bag, I’m still looking for an instruction manual on how to pack  :) .
Decided I was getting a bit bored shooting at the range so I signed up for an IDPA match. Really great people at the match, friendly and very willing to help. The combination of target presentation was a lot of fun. I do wish I had practiced shooting with my weak hand before the match. I still believe the no-shoot target received only a flesh wound and the bad cardboard hoodlum won’t be bothering any more innocent cardboardites. I’m a bit envious of the younger shooters speed but I did well enough to win in the ESP. Yes I’m still smiling. :D
DeadElephant

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Good post. You have been busy. Good to hear you are getting the feel of the XD. And really great to see you get into the action shooting competitions. Lots of folk don't know how much fun (and frustration) they are missing. Congrats on the ESP win. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, practical shooting is one of the most fun shooting sports available IMO. Of course I probably thought that of most activities at the beginning. I don't think I had a more positive initial impression of all the other shooters in any other activity.
Because of my past shooting I'm getting really tempted to have a trigger job done. Don't know how long I can hold off that bug.
I'm having trouble determining the best way for me to release the mag (thumb or finger). I have small hands (one of the reasons I went with an XD). My trigger finger is 2.5" long. No jokes, my other appendages are normal :oops: On the range I would release my mag with my trigger finger from the right side. I stumbled a bit during the match with this. What are others doing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts