Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow XD owners, I've been bit by the gun bug and I'm looking to get the following firearms. Please help me pick out something else if you know of something better. The budget in each case is $250 so I'm definitely looking for something used.

SD Pistol : Springfield XD40.
This is my first gun and I don't plan on getting rid of it.

9mm Pistol : Luger
Luger P08 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For target practice and plinking and as a collector's item.

45 Pistol : Any 1911
I don't want to spend a ton of money, but budget in this case is $500-600.

22 Pistol : Browning Buckmark
For target practice and plinking.

22 Rifle : CZ 452
For target practice and plinking. I don't need something this fancy, but I definitely want a bolt action so the 10/22 is out.

Hunting Rifle : K98 Mauser
Karabiner 98k - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This would have value as a collector's item and still be a good hunting rifle.

HD Shotgun : Remington 870
It will also be used for hunting, trap & skeet

Black Gun : AK47
'nuff said!
(...this last one will probably not happen unless the Mrs. also catches the gun bug.)

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts

Ruger P-89, easily had for $250-300

Taurus PT1911: best for under $600, possibly $500 or less used.

Ruger Mark II or III

For target practice and plinking. I don't need something this fancy, but I definitely want a bolt action so the 10/22 is out.
Old Remington bolt gun , easy to find in the $100-150 range, will shoot short long, or Long Rifle. I paid $40 for mine, and it's an old beater, but hands down one of my favs.

This would have value as a collector's item and still be a good hunting rifle.
Rem 700 in you caliber of choice, but I would suggest .270 or .30-06

HD Shotgun : Remington 870 NUFF SAID

'nuff said!
(...this last one will probably not happen unless the Mrs. also catches the gun bug.) Good luck on both parts of this one:-D

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
Fellow XD owners, I've been bit by the gun bug and I'm looking to get the following firearms. Please help me pick out something else if you know of something better. The budget in each case is $250 so I'm definitely looking for something used.

sounds good to me, but i am a .45 cal guy, not a huge fan of the neutered 10mm that is the .40 cal. I would go .45 myself. XD 45 compact. Very versatile. Not much bigger if at all, than the .40 and has superior stopping power.

maybe also consider a surplus 9mm sig P6. No problem with the 9mm luger espeically since you want it as a collectors item, me too. I have a sig p6 which fits nicely in they $250 budget (well $259, plus shipping and transfer so figure $299)

springfield GI. or any number of others depending on if you can find a local deal on a used gun.

sweet.

This would have value as a collector's item and still be a good hunting rifle
I recently (this spring ) got a .308 k98 mauser. It was a 1932 FN herstal manufacture, then ended up in Israel post WWII, was rebarelled in .308 for NATO 7.62x51 for commonality. I got it in a trade for work for a buddy, he bought it for $200 something i think $250. They were still on century arms web page, almost any dealer can order from century.

Or i would go 8mm German K98 with the nazi markings, taken by the russians. You can get those right around $200 and up.

HD Shotgun : Remington 870
You have good taste. I have a 870 express super mag, shoots 2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2" shells. I got it used for $195 in 2006. Great gun.

'nuff said!
(...this last one will probably not happen unless the Mrs. also catches the gun bug.)
best deal out there is the saiga aks. Brand new, all new, no parked over rust, and rebuilds. All made in mother russia.

Russian Saiga AK 47 Rifle IZ 132
above is link to saiga for sale. Best deal out there, and i would buy this immediately. Prices went up about $60 since week prior to election is was a $289 rifle. BUY THIS NOW! then you will have the gun that is gonna be the most violatile in price in the comming months.

$340 if you want a 7.62x39, you can also get a .308 AK, and a .223 which is what i bought.

i am confused about your $250 budget?

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings...but if you're looking at Lugers, you will need to (at bare minimum) triple your budget of $250...more likely quadruple it. Do a quick search at Gunbroker...you will see they don't come cheap. Perhaps you may want to look at a P38/P1--that'd be more in your price range, and still has that "Deutschland Uber Alles" feel to it...

For the 1911, I'd look at a Rock Island Armory. I'd highly recommend the 5" Tactical model; I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine, and it's still going strong. All for less than $500.

And, for a hunting rifle, I'd look more at a Stevens/Savage bolt rifle; if you get a K98, and want to scope it, you'll hurt the collector's value. If you want the Mauser, just pick up one as well...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Ok, I guess I'd have to open up and figure on spending a bit more for a Luger and an AK. I see Mosin Nagants going for < $100 all the time and I incorrectly figured anything that old could be found for cheap. Maybe those days are over...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I typed out a whole thing regarding each of those, but I deleted it because while quantity of firearms is fun to think about, I'll pick quality first. Truthfully, I'd rather have 3 or 4 good guns and 7 or 8 "ok" guns (not saying your choices are no good, but a hunting rifle for example, I'd want something a little higher). I understand the day-dreaming, but if you're day-dreaming, bump up the budget!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts