Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my XD tac with Dawson's front and rear due to my poor eyesight. I had tried them out on a FABULOUS outdoor range thanks to mgtd, a fellow board member. He invited me out to shoot his XDs before I bought one (thanks again brother). I fell in love with the Dawson system that day.
My trouble comes from the low light at the indoor range. The FO sights were almost worthless and I had virtually no sights at all. I shot pretty well at 30 and 50 feet considering the circumstances but... how do you Dawson guys shoot indoors?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have a Dawson front sight on my sub and I use the dot for a quick reference only and align my sight using the blade. I prefer to have my rear sights ttaly blacked out unless im using N/S.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I shoot alot of matches at indoor ranges in the winter and the only thing I have found that works, if you need the fiber opitics to see your sights is night sights. Even in the low light of indoor shooting I can still see my sights, but not the FOs, so I have just learned to slow down a little too get a better sight picture when I can't see the fiber opitic, or use my carry gun with night sights.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
There is little ambient light in an indoor range to fire up the flourescein dye in the optics.

You can try a yellow or a green fiber for indoors for the front sight and see if you can pick that up better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have found a ball cap with two small LED'S duilt in to the bill.
it uses two watch battries. the batteries and on/off switch are on the head band. it works great, is $16.00 and i found it at Lowes hardwear.
I wear it on duty, keeps my hands free to write or fight.
it does not light up your face and all the bad guy can see is a pistol flowting in air and two small lights. i had one guy tell me that is really shook him up, he stated that it really confused him, he could not figure out what he was seeing. this would be great for use at the indoor range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate to give up the Dawsons but maybe the Truglo TFO's are the answer. Night sights and FO in one package. Not adjustable is the downside.
I do like the hat/light idea. Can't you picture me experimenting out in the garage with a mini Maglite duct taped to my Cubs hat? LOL
I have considered clamping a mini Maglite to the target carrier above.
Thanks for all your comments and please keep them coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts