Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still can't seem to get used to the point of aim sights on my XDm 3.8" .40. I want to switch them out and was looking at plain trijicons, but then I ran across these Dawson Precision Adjustable sights with the tritium inserts and I really like the idea.

A couple of questions for you guys. Has anyone used these/have any experience with these sights?
Will these change my sights to 6 o'clock sights? I don't like the point of aim and I would like to change them to 6 o'clock sights if possible and to be able to adjust would be great. Is there a certain height front sight I need to get to be able to do this?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's been a little while but I belive Trijicons are a 6 O'clock hold for that weapon if I remember correctly of my conversation w customer service lady at Trijicon. I did look at Dawson and called,left messages and sent e-mails but no response with them and the makers of Speed Sights. I finally decided on Heinie Sights for my XDm. I also wated info from Dawson about night sights for my SA 1911-a1 but screw 'em so I checked with SA andfound what I was looking for a whole lot cheaper,so I would check them.Good luck, hope it helps!

·
Registered
9,949 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a set of Dawson Precision night sights for my XDm .40 and I love them, but the sights are not easy to replace on the XDm! Using the little wimpy aluminum punches that came in the package with the sights I couldn't even budge the sights at all. The punches would just mushroom and bend so I decided to make a sight pusher rig for the XDm (after not being able to find a gunsmith that would do it ) Well time passed and I hadn't gotten to it yet, when MGW came out with a sight pusher specifically for the XD. My prayers were answered! So I got one and it worked really well ( the sights were so tight that it almost wouldn't do it! ) The Dawson Precision sights are a bit bigger than the stock sights and the MGW tool wasn't made for anything but stock sized sights, but I was able to make it work with some clever problem solving. Anyway they are fabulous, well made sights. I highly recommend them. JB

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
All the Dawson sights are oversize and require a small amount of fitting. You can watch Dave Dawson install them on You Tube. Getting the factory sights off your gun could be a problem unless you have a good punch, big hammer, and a lot of strength.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I just put the Dawson adjustable fiber optics on my xdm 9 mm in 3.8. I was having trouble with the gun shooting very low. I tried reloading heavier bullets, lighter bullets, and several different powders without much change. I had a smith in reno nv put the sights on and had the gun back same day. I have since put about 250 rounds through it and am very pleased with them. I have been able to adjust the sights to shoot clean behind the front orange sight. I have only shot one type of ammo through it because of how hard it is to find ammo around here. But ther is still plenty of adjustment to go either up down left or right. It seems to me you could adjust them to do just about anything you would like. The front sight is a little tall and I had to modify my Blackhawk holster so it doesn't rub. I ordered the thin front site in .285 height (i think. Don't have them right here to confirm) so I don't have the issue of the target disappearing beind the front sight. Personal preference but they are well worth the money in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts