Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dude I'm a moron. I've been sitting here for an hour trying to figure out what height measurement I need to get. Yeah... wide dummy,wide not high... wide.

So uh... what would you get for a carry gun that shoots an occasional pistol event at 25-50 feet.?

I've always kinda looked down my nose at the "New fangled" sights. Then I shot a gun with them today. Yeah I'll be looking down my nose at them as I'm coming up from a low ready. Getting some trigger work done too.

It's always nice to outshoot a guns owner. As long as it's not my gun.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I like to see light between the front and rear, I just ordered a narrow dawson for my wifes XD.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I installed a Dawson Precision front sight on my XD-40 and shot it yesterday for the first time at an outdoor Police Pistol Combat match.

I was very pleased with the sight picture, and looking through these old tri-foculs can really be a test. That red fibre optic really did the job.

I do wish the front sight were a little wider, but I too like to see some daylight between the front and rear sight picture.

All in all, I believe I made a good purchase and now look forward to improving my scores.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info folks.

I can't beleive how fast I can shoot when I don't have to spend time looking for the front sight.

My factory front sight measures .148 with some room to each side for alignment. the .125's I ordered may be a little smaller than I like, but with some practice it will be ok.

Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
RLLOVER said:
Thanks for the info folks.

I can't beleive how fast I can shoot when I don't have to spend time looking for the front sight.

My factory front sight measures .148 with some room to each side for alignment. the .125's I ordered may be a little smaller than I like, but with some practice it will be ok.

Thanks again
I appreciate all of the information provided here in these forums. I have a question and I hope that it doesn't make me sound stupid.

After you installed the Dawson fiber optic front sight, did you leave the rear factory sight on your weapon? Or, did you go with a complete sight set replacement?

I have been given some advice from a smithy that blacking out the two white dots on the factory rear sights are recommended if you only replace the front sight with fiber optic.

I do carry my XD40 sub and use it in IDPA as well.

Comments and advice are very appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I ended up instaling the Dawson fiber on my sub compact and put an optical sight on my wifes XD. I shoot USPSA with a a 229 and blacked out my rear sight and painted a single bright orange dot on the front sight. My times and scores went up quite a bit.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
After you installed the Dawson fiber optic front sight, did you leave the rear factory sight on your weapon? Or, did you go with a complete sight set replacement?
You have two options. You can install a Dawson Fiber Front Sight that will work with your XD's stock rear. Or, you can install a Dawson set that has an adjustable rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Old School said:
You have two options. You can install a Dawson Fiber Front Sight that will work with your XD's stock rear. Or, you can install a Dawson set that has an adjustable rear.
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to order the front sight post first and perhaps see how that works for awhile.

I'm concerned about making too many mods on this pistol as it is both my carry weapon and IDPA weapon. And from what I gather, that was the intention of the folks at IDPA.

If I don't like it, I can always go back to the factory front post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
JD McDorce said:
Fsquared said:
I've decided to order the front sight post first and perhaps see how that works for awhile.
Which raises another question (somewhat geared toward Old School): Can one buy only a Dawson rear sight? I've seen fronts offered "loose" and rears offered as a set, but haven't seen where one could get a rear without also getting a front.
I didn't see that option on the Dawson web page, but if you called them, they might be able to answer that question for you. The web link to Dawson is: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/

I ordered my front post from a local gun shop and smithy. When he calls me to bring my slide in, I'll try and remember to ask him what he thinks about it. I'm sure that he's ordered thousands of times from them.[/code]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts