Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good database template for personal collection tracking? Either Access or SQL preferably. Looking for Model, Serial #, purchase date, price, round count, etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree with the other posters. Keep it simple. Using Access or SQL Server would be overkill for what you are describing. Even if you did need a relational database you could set that up in Excel PowerPivot

·
Registered
538 Posts
Need more info.

You Want to run this yourself on...
pc, Mac, need it Internet based, iPad or phone friendly?
Do you just need a database only or do you need the user interface?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the advice guys but I specifically wanted a db.
1. I wanted a local copy only and nothing in cloud.
2. I need to brush up on my db skills and this would be a database I would enjoy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need more info.

You Want to run this yourself on...
pc, Mac, need it Internet based, iPad or phone friendly?
Do you just need a database only or do you need the user interface?
Sorry. On a PC and local only.

I mainly just wanted a rough template that I could tweak myself to brush up on my skills.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I appreciate the advice guys but I specifically wanted a db.
1. I wanted a local copy only and nothing in cloud.
2. I need to brush up on my db skills and this would be a database I would enjoy.
Are you going to do manual entry directly with sql or do you need a program or website running locally with a user interface?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is think that MS templates would include a household inventory access database that would likely work as a starting point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There a product called gunsafe, its a data base program that can be kept and run on a memory stick, so you don't have a copy on your computer. It's free, It can be found on " thefirearmsforum.com". Information and technical archives. It's kind of an old link. But Google it may work I got it a few years ago, I think it will do everything you want.
Regards

·
Registered
538 Posts
IDK - I asked questions that were never answered..been a professional programmer some 18 years now..isn't any kind of software - other than computational fluid dynamics or landing a rocket ship on the moon - that I haven't worked on or built. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Sounds to me like he just wanted a project so he could practice. Easy enough to create a table and use Access or other as a front end. Definitely a lot just to track inventory and rounds counts but it will allow him to brush up a little.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds to me like he just wanted a project so he could practice. Easy enough to create a table and use Access or other as a front end. Definitely a lot just to track inventory and rounds counts but it will allow him to brush up a little.
That is really what I was looking for.

·
Registered
204 Posts
years ago I built a database in MySQL for our customers' email addresses. I used PHP Maker for an easy way to build a GUI interface. It's been a while, but I'm sure all that stuff is still available. And don't shy away from doing a web based GUI. You can still keep it local.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
That is really what I was looking for.
There are probably templates you can use but, if you know how to build tables, queries, and ODBC calls it would probably take less time to build from scratch than to modify someone else's stuff for the few fields you mentioned. Might also be good practice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a DBA with over 20 years of experience in designing and managing enterprise-scale database systems I keep my rather small selection of firearms in an Excel spreadsheet. 'Nuf said?

Excel is far more intuitive to use, especially for personal use. I would only move to a database (Access for personal use) if my collection grew to 50 or more. But the central question would be what do I use as a primary key for identifying each firearm in a meaningful way.

·
Super Moderator
22,214 Posts
Or use Excel and save it in the cloud. Google Docs, Dropbox, iCloud, etc.
I agree with this but NO CLOUD use!!!!

If it leaves your computer it is 'public' knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
22,214 Posts
And we are nearing a Zombie Apocalypse!! It's the 21st Century, the Cloud is the way of future!
Would you leave your guns with a private company not on our property?

The Cloud is a joke.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts