Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually saw this video on another forum awhile ago so many of you have probably already seen this, but I thought it was so impressive that I just had to share it here. Yes, I suppose you can belittle it because they didn't push it 'til it literally fell to pieces, but this is pretty darn impressive. And it's indicative of why Daniel Defense is building such an enviable rep for high quality DGI M4 clones. Enjoy the video and let the chatter...... begin!

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think that was more of an Aimpoint commercial, very impressed with its durability. I wasn't that impressed for some reason with the tests for the rifle. I think maybe its because they took precautions in making sure the dust cover was closed and tapping up the barrel. I wanted them to get dirt/sand/water in the bolt and see how well it held up to a high round count after that. Maybe I am asking to much, or it would be to dangerous. I just know that I wanted to see more.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying, I would love to get a DD rifle, and probably will at some point. I just think they could have done more to really show its durability, and maybe that's just me.

·
21,866 Posts
I think that was more of an Aimpoint commercial, very impressed with its durability. I wasn't that impressed for some reason with the tests for the rifle. I think maybe its because they took precautions in making sure the dust cover was closed and tapping up the barrel. I wanted them to get dirt/sand/water in the bolt and see how well it held up to a high round count after that. Maybe I am asking to much, or it would be to dangerous. I just know that I wanted to see more.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying, I would love to get a DD rifle, and probably will at some point. I just think they could have done more to really show its durability, and maybe that's just me.
I can see why you hate it but our infantry boys get issued a cap that goes on the end of the barrel to help keep dust out, and they are trained to keep their dust cover closed and either full mag or empty mag in all times. This isnt to far off from what we do to help keep our weapon clean.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Very nice...:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I can see why you hate it but our infantry boys get issued a cap that goes on the end of the barrel to help keep dust out, and they are trained to keep their dust cover closed and either full mag or empty mag in all times. This isnt to far off from what we do to help keep our weapon clean.
Then that makes a lot more sense. I guess I would just like to have seen what it would take to cause a failure, because I know it would have taken a whole lot.

The abuse it did take was still very impressive.

·
21,866 Posts
Was it DI or Piston? Does anyone know? I figured DI since he said he didnt want water in the gas tube but even the pistons have a small "gas tube".

·
Registered
791 Posts
Was it DI or Piston? Does anyone know? I figured DI since he said he didnt want water in the gas tube but even the pistons have a small "gas tube".
you are right, its DI, daniel defense doesnt make any piston op rifle. its pretty bad that i saw this movie right after i decided to hold off on buying A DDM4...i hate my life lol

·
Registered
838 Posts
Guns and Ammo ran a similar torture test for several makes of AR and if memory serves, all of them performed well. ARs, most makes included, are very durable under those conditions. G&A also closed the dust covers and were careful not to plug the muzzles with mud or debris (as safety would dictate).

Not a knock on DD which has a great rep. but much of the hype regarding superiority to others is anecdotal rather than demonstrable through "tests".

·
Registered
324 Posts
Since the test was merely a durability test, but not a comparison test, I am forced to wonder how a variety of rifles might have fared. I'd like to see a durability test of some major manufacturers, some machine shops (like LMT and Mega) guns, and stuff from boutique builders like LaRue and Barrett.

Could you imagine what such a test would cost? LOL!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think many brands of ARs could handle that test. I also think the Aimpoint was more impressive. Show me another scope/red dot that would live through that test!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I bought mine on impulse not really knowing the quality of the gun but boy was I surprised to find out that it is pretty SWEET

·
Registered
791 Posts
i feel that most mid to high end manufactures would perform about the same...but LMT has never impressed me, i dont think their guns are worth their price at all.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

I actually expect about any AR to hold up about as well as this since they're all so similiarly made.

But I'm sure there will be many naysayers and fan boys that would disagree.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Guns and Ammo ran a similar torture test for several makes of AR and if memory serves, all of them performed well. ARs, most makes included, are very durable under those conditions. G&A also closed the dust covers and were careful not to plug the muzzles with mud or debris (as safety would dictate).

Not a knock on DD which has a great rep. but much of the hype regarding superiority to others is anecdotal rather than demonstrable through "tests".
Agreed.

There was so much editing that the test lost continuity. Then, it became laughable in spots. Does our military "frequently" run over their weapons with vehicles? Are our troops flinging their weapons out of helicopters? Is the guy doing the narration causing food prices to climb?

I don't know what you want, American Warriors, but give me a full auto demonstration of 10 30-round magazines fired as fast as can be loaded, then pitch the carbine in a Florida swamp. Heat the barrel with full auto rounds till it glows cherry red and use it to brand a 12' gator. Run over the weapon with a pulp wood hauler, then pour super glue in the lower. Load it again, do a successful function test, put it in a gun store and sell it for big money.

Thats what I call a torture test. :twisted::twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Pretty damn impressive. It got my attention for sure. Very nice torture test, I wouldn't do it to my weapon, even though I think it could handle it as well...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Took my DDM4 to the range today for the first time.500 rounds without a hickup. Daniel Defense makes one of the best ARs hands down. However, The torture test was a little cheasy, I have to admit!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This test makes me glad I sprung the cash loose for my aimpoint. I didnt think that the DD AR did anything too special. I have a feeling that 90% of the AR's would have passed those tests.

It was cool to see the durability of magpul stocks, DD receiver extensions, and aimpoints.

The other cool aimpoint test was the one where the dude was shooting steel plates at 100 yards then takes off the larue mounted aimpoint and tosses it 20-30 feet across a gravel parking lot. The other dude picks it up and tosses back across the parking lot back to the shooter. The shooter then snaps the aimpoint back on and starts hitting iron again.

cool stuff:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts