Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my blue wonder cleaning kit today, and I want to throw on the armadillo to shine the chrome slide so it blinds...

I need to get the dirt out of the lettering though, what can I take to the slide that wont damage it? I have been using tooth pics, what would be small enough that wouldn't scratch it?

I dripped EEZox on it and tried to scrape it more, futile though since the crevices (sp?) are so small..

ALSO - Would Armadillo be a good protectant for an AR-15 finish? Shine it up nice and neat?

And for the Discotec, where would be the best place to rub that into a clean AR-15? Friction points on the bolt carrier group? On the bolt itself?

Appreciate it in advance..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Have you tried a used, firm bristled toothbrush for the lettering. I know it works to get the excess Armadillo out. Just don't put the toothbrush back in the bathroom,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's what I do. I purchased some plastic "dental tools" last year. These are made by Tipton specifically for firearms. Since they are plastic, they don't scratch. There is a bunch of different tips that I've found effective on cleaning my XD and my rifles. They work for dirt and for excess Armadillo (I usually lay it on thick!). Plus they are pretty cheap for cost too. Here's where I got mine from:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/778870

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is just a guess. I dont have an AR-15, or any other assault type weapon unless you count my 22, but i think you might run out of Discotec really quick from using it on something the size of an AR-15. Maybe buy some more for just that or switch to a lube that you can use more liberally. Guys, correct me if i'm wrong, it just a guess.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
a toothbrush works good....i don't think it'd hurt to put some on your ar-15 either
it really isn't made to make em real shiney i dont think....but it will however be clean, and make it stay that way :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts