Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple years of flawless operation and total confidence in my SC9mm as a CCW gun (very nice w/ 'Combat Carry' trigger job & Heinie NS), yesterday I decided it was time to add a Service XD-9 to the stable and perform the 'grip-chop' mod to keep interchangeability of mags, holsters, etc.

I got to the local store and they had their first XDM 9mm in the case. I tried not to like it, especially since I have to use different mags, etc. After finding out that it fits in my Crossbreed IWB and Galco pretty well I decided to try both 'regular' 4" and XDM back-to-back just raising the weapon from my side to see which pointed better. I was high every time with the Service model, as were two employees in the store (one carries a Glock and the other a 4" 1911) but we were all pretty much dead-on with the XDM. The thing just seems to get on target faster for me with less thought involved and I am hoping some range time will prove this to be true.

They had two 'new in box' stls slide 9's but preferring black I bought the one in the case! It will be a day or two before I can send a half brick or so thru her then she's goes back 'home' for the trigger/NS setup just like my SC has.

I guess now is the time to start hoarding more HiCap mags for the XD's and the SBRs... ugh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! :)

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of new XDm-9s on the forum in the coming weeks and months.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Congrats on the XDM purchase, however I must remind you:

(T)his (T)hread (I)s (W)orthless (W)ithout (P)ictures
;)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Congrats on the XDM purchase, however I must remind you:

(T)his (T)hread (I)s (W)orthless (W)ithout (P)ictures
;)
try saving that pic to your computer and then load it into your photoshop account and then repost it here. they probably dont want people using their bandwidth

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
try saving that pic to your computer and then load it into your photoshop account and then repost it here. they probably dont want people using their bandwidth
I take it my graphic didn't show up????

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and here ya go, I included an SBR suppressor to fill the lower left area:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice pic!!! The suppressor is sweet!!! Epic fail on my part with the graphic!!! LOL!!! Maybe this one will work!!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, yer pic worked this time. Thx, the suppressor is a Gemtech G-5 just like our uncle uses in the sandbox, expensive but one of the best purchases I've ever made. I fired one round without it using some really hot 5.56 in an 11.5" setup underneath an awning and even with ear protection I'm never gonna try it again if possible (although the 12" or so of flame looked really cool near dusk).

Hopefully even if the pols reinstitue the AWB they won't notice NFA stuff.

Nice pic!!! The suppressor is sweet!!! Epic fail on my part with the graphic!!! LOL!!! Maybe this one will work!!!!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice and Congrats!!! i get mine tomorrow!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thats a nice gun. I am afraid to go and look at one. Might not have self restraint to not buy it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice! I'm going to get one to use as I start to get into competition shooting. What a fine looking gun.

Have not found one in Las Vegas area yet but I have not given up yet. I hope to find one very soon!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you did not see my suppressor response on post#9, here is a partial: The suppressor is a 5.56mm Gemtech G-5 just like our uncle uses in the sandbox, expensive but one of the best purchases I've ever made.

So far I love the (m), probably will mount a TLR-1 or Procyon on her very soon.

Ive had the same thought...

Any more info on that suppressor?

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
When the XDM .40 came out, I was able to handle it, and I had exactly the same reaction you did--it seemed to come on target of its own volition.

My only objection to the XDM was that it was longer than the Service model I currently have, and I don't want to have a longer pistol.

On the other hand, perhaps that additional length figures into its balance somehow, and as a result it's more aim-friendly.

If that's true, I'd reconsider.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RE: G-5… The Gemtech was $875 before sales tax & $200 Federal tax stamp. My Class III dealer sells suppressors for list but does not charge for doing the paperwork like many others do around here. It does use a proprietary flash hider and they are $90 each if you want to be able to use it easily on multiple AR/5.56mm weapons. It is a ¼ turn ‘quick-mount’ and takes 2-3 seconds (or less) to put on or remove. I had it side-by-side with another ‘name brand’ suppressor at the rand and using identical ammo the folks there agreed there was no discernible volume difference – but his was on a 16” barrel! Not a knock on the other setup, just kudos to Gemtech.

RE: XD(m) vs. XD ‘pointing’+size… I personally think it is the totally re-contoured backstrap accounting for a lot of the difference. Coming from a butt-heavy SC9 I would have expected to be ‘muzzle high’ on the Service but that was obviously not the case. Lay them on top of each other if you get the chance and you will see what I mean. I carried the ‘m’ today and under a loose t-shirt it was plenty invisible. The way they shaped the extra barrel length seemed pretty unobtrusive to me.

A somewhat ‘brand-snobbish’ acquaintance who saw/handled the (m) today wants one now, giving me a great chuckle – he has HKs and Sigs among a ton of Class III and actually wants a ‘cheap plastic Crocks’ (CRoation glOCK)… I prefer to lightheartedly call XDs the ‘glock perfected’, but have nothing against brand G fwiw.

You guys wanna see some SBR pr0n since at least a few of you are into ARs/EBRs? Foliage green or black?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts