Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working with the most basic of the minimal holsters/alternative concealment method.

I try to remain open minded until I have been there and done that myself and gained hands on personal experience with a product. When I first saw the Zacchaeus Holster advertised I didn't think it would have a place in my gear lineup. After trying it out however, I find it most certainly does have it's uses and benefits. You won't see me make a statement like "best ever, or this is the only way." I will state what works for me and quantify that statement with my experience and findings for the benefit of other's.

There are a lot of different ways to get from point A to point B, especially in firearms related use and technique, and the way one does it isn't necessarily good for the next. Here is something that I am still experimenting with, but am drawing a favorable conclusion of for limited/situational use.

The Zacchaeus minimalist holster built by Dale Fricke Holsters is a kydex "trigger sheath" that, while being carried AIWB, Mexican carry (appendix in the waistband, sans traditional holster), attaches to the wearer's belt with a nylon cord. The cordage keeps the Zacchaeus and gun from sliding down into the wearer's pants too deeply or allowing it to move horizontally around the waist band. It secures with a sharp snap over the trigger guard and holds very tightly.

I have found this method of carry very secure, surprisingly so in fact. With no loss of weapon retention or control and offering a full shooting grip when drawing. I feel completely secure in carrying this way for casual, non-active use; running to the grocery store, road trip, errands, etc.

I have found my XD service model .40 S&W conceals easily and securely. The weapon doesn't shift anymore than one wants an appendix rig to shift being that some slight movement is good for this carry technique when going from standing to seated positions or bending. In fact, except for not having the extra bulk of a holster IWB it feels like the gun is holstered traditionally anyway.

Another place this type of rig shines is in carrying off body in a purse for the girls or gender challenged (JK), briefcase, day planner, pocket carry in a CC jacket or vest, glove box, or nightstand for home defense. This device will keep the trigger covered on a striker/SA fired design, those without external safety like the Glocks, XDs, Smiths, SR9s etc. I don't find this necessary with DA, DA/SA or a pistol with an external safety like the BHP or 1911, but for a machine that goes bang with very little trigger pressure I recommend it. With this product you have something protecting you from negligently pulling the trigger while trying to get a firing grip on a striker fired weapon that may be loose in a bag or pack.

I will say the draw stroke will require some tweaking. When drawing one's weapon it isn't cleared by removing it from the waistband like on a draw from a traditional holster, the user's weapon will still be secured in the Zac holster after it leaves the waistband. That is where the tether comes into action. Continue upward/rearward movement until the tether becomes taut snapping the Zac holster off of the trigger guard, freeing the weapon to be fired. It will require some training time and adjustment to use proficiently.

I like this product. I won't be giving up my leather or traditional Kydex rigs for it, but it fills a niche and a purpose for me and may fit the needs of other forum member's as well. Thank you for reading my review.
/Users/matthewturner03/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2011/07/08/20110708-054954/DSC00779.JPG,
/Users/matthewturner03/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2011/07/08/20110708-054954/DSC00778.JPG

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share such a detailed and well written review!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can see how this would be handy if you're carrying in a bag. Appreciate the review.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
That looks odd, still trying to understand it.... Thanks for the review and picture.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's the only holster I own. It's smooth and fast and fits comfortable. And o do have some gut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts