Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these guys online while searching around:

Czechpoint USA - Products - vz. 58 Rifles

Prices are not too crazy and these seem like really nice rifles.

Anyone own one?

Good shooter or junk?

They sure look nice and the Czechs are known for making very good guns.

I have also seen their wares selling by third party on Gunbroker for 1000-1200 bucks. Thier price includes shipping and dealer transfer fees. Seriously! I called and asked them and they have plenty of rifles in stock. Thats around 850 bucks at one time and its all done...not inexpensive, but not as crazy as some and if it lives up to its claim...maybe worth it.

Totally built in Czech Republic, lighter than an AKM, accurate (so they say), reliable (again - so they say), milled receiver, bolt stays open after last round, 5 year warranty and parts/mags are avaialble.....

Too good to be true?

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
BB you have a PM

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
These are the same Czech guns that have been being imported for the last year or more.

Just another vendor of them.

Mine runs fine. I expect these will, too.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I'm sure they're decent shooters....I'll stick with AKs.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I wish they could take AK mags. Proprietary mags are a pain.
They're not proprietary. They were designed for the Vz58.

GOSH DARNIT! I WISH MY REMINGTON 700 FLOORPLATE WOULD FIT THE BOTTOM OF MY RUGER M77! THEY'RE BOTH .308 BOLT ACTION RIFLES! I HATE PROPRIETARY STUFF!

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
They're not proprietary. They were designed for the Vz58.

GOSH DARNIT! I WISH MY REMINGTON 700 FLOORPLATE WOULD FIT THE BOTTOM OF MY RUGER M77! THEY'RE BOTH .308 BOLT ACTION RIFLES! I HATE PROPRIETARY STUFF!
That's not quite the same thing, and you know it. This is an AK-format rifle; it's not difficult to imagine that they could have made it compatible with AK magazines. They chose not to, for reasons we can only imagine.

And yes, if I'm buying an AK-format rifle in 7.62x39mm, I would want it to accept regular old AK magazines. If this CZ rifle bombs, you're going to have a much harder/more expensive time getting magazines than if it accepted AK mags.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
That's not quite the same thing, and you know it. This is an AK-format rifle; it's not difficult to imagine that they could have made it compatible with AK magazines. They chose not to, for reasons we can only imagine.

And yes, if I'm buying an AK-format rifle in 7.62x39mm, I would want it to accept regular old AK magazines. If this CZ rifle bombs, you're going to have a much harder/more expensive time getting magazines than if it accepted AK mags.
It is quite the same thing.
The Vz58 is not an "AK-format rifle".

The only similarity to the AK is the curvature of the magazine - necessitated by the bottleneck shape of the 7.62x39 cartridge they both utilize.

Nothing on the Vz58 will interchange with the AK.

It is a completely different design.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Okay, if you really are of the opinion that not having AK magazine compatibility is NOT a downside, I don't see the point in arguing further.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Okay, if you really are of the opinion that not having AK magazine compatibility is NOT a downside, I don't see the point in arguing further.
they probably werent aware that the ak47 would be one of the most popular weapon designs of all time 50+ years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts

The CZ has nothing in common with AK other than the calibre, its an entirely different weapon And the only reason its chambered in 7.62x39 is because the Czech 7,62x45 was a flop for export out side the curtin and every country in the combloc produced and used 7.62x39. Same reason that there is a Cz52 rifle (7.62x45) and a Cz 52/57 (7,62x39). The Czechs refused to conform and use the SKS and the AK. the CZ58 is lighter, less recoil, more accurate, and so far just as durable. I have 2 of them built from kits. its amazing that a milled receivered rifle weighs less than a stamped receivered weapon. Czechs make outstanding weapons, I think they can rival the Swiss...

And not being AK mag compatible makes no difference. Does it matter that M-14s, CETMEs, and FALs are the same calibre but cant use the same mags?? What about the fact that a metric FAL has a hard time using inch pattren mags, but the inch pattern can use both??

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
they probably werent aware that the ak47 would be one of the most popular weapon designs of all time 50+ years ago.
Jeez o petes, you guys don't quit. Yes I'm aware that this is a Czech military rifle that was designed independently of the AK and that the operation and internal design is completely different and the similarity is only cosmetic. No amount of snarky comments are going to help drive this point home -- I already get it.

If they are going to spiff it up and market it in the US, it would have been a positive feature to be compatible with the most commonly available 7.62x39mm magazine available. That was the only point of the original poster, and the only point I am making.

[waiting for the next smartass to trip over himself trying to demonstrate how stupid I am]

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
Jeez o petes, you guys don't quit. Yes I'm aware that this is a Czech military rifle that was designed independently of the AK and that the operation and internal design is completely different and the similarity is only cosmetic. No amount of snarky comments are going to help drive this point home -- I already get it.

If they are going to spiff it up and market it in the US, it would have been a positive feature to be compatible with the most commonly available 7.62x39mm magazine available. That was the only point of the original poster, and the only point I am making.

[waiting for the next smartass to trip over himself trying to demonstrate how stupid I am]
it would make sense. Like how the RRA LR8 their .308/ar10 uses the uber cheap but nice FAL mags that you can get for 10 bucks, as apposed to $50 mags DPMS or armalite want you to buy.

Since this is NEW milled, and CZ has large amount of manufacturing expertise, it would not take much to atleast offer it both ways, one for the purists, and a second version for the cheapies who want a 7.62x39 but dont want to pay for an arsenal AK.

You can get the CZ vz58 mags for a half decent price, about $20 a mag or in that range. Its not robbery.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts

And where is the OP saying that?? And besides, if you make it AK mag compatible, it wouldn't be a CZ 58 now would it??

I found these guys online while searching around:

Czechpoint USA - Products - vz. 58 Rifles

Prices are not too crazy and these seem like really nice rifles.

Anyone own one?

Good shooter or junk?

They sure look nice and the Czechs are known for making very good guns.

I have also seen their wares selling by third party on Gunbroker for 1000-1200 bucks. Thier price includes shipping and dealer transfer fees. Seriously! I called and asked them and they have plenty of rifles in stock. Thats around 850 bucks at one time and its all done...not inexpensive, but not as crazy as some and if it lives up to its claim...maybe worth it.

Totally built in Czech Republic, lighter than an AKM, accurate (so they say), reliable (again - so they say), milled receiver, bolt stays open after last round, 5 year warranty and parts/mags are avaialble.....

Too good to be true?

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
And where is the OP saying that?? And besides, if you make it AK mag compatible, it wouldn't be a CZ 58 now would it??
I wish they could take AK mags. Proprietary mags are a pain.
Sorry, I sloppily used OP to refer to the first person who brought up the AK mags, not the actual original poster in the thread. My point (and I believe his as well) was merely that it's becoming increasingly common for new guns and new variations of old guns to be designed to use commonly available magazines, and that this was a missed opportunity for CZ, if it was mechically possible at all.

In any case, through a little googling I've found several references to people attempting their own bubbafied AK to VZ magazine conversion, and while the external dimensions are similar, and the latch difference is possibly workable, the deal-breaker is the last-shot BHO plunger in the VZ magazines.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Anybody got a pic of what one of these look like disassembled?
To quote myself from another forum:
nalioth said:
Ye olde Vz58

The non removable takedown pin

Selector lever in fire position.

Selector lever in safe position. Please note the human engineering involved. When this rifle is 'safe', you can't comfortably get your firing hand on the pistol grip (if you're right handed).

After you pull the takedown pin, you push the top cover forward and lift it up.

This picture shows the recoil spring (top) and the striker spring (bottom).

This picture shows the natural length of the recoil and striker springs.

Trigger group

Back of the bolt carrier, striker on bottom, recoil spring guide on top and lightening holes at 9 and 3.

Striker in cocked position

Trigger is being pulled, notice the sear is a bit lower (picture angle sucks, sorry)

To remove the bolt carrier group, slide it all the way to the rear and lift it from the front.

Inside of receiver.

Business end of the receiver. Barrel on bottom, gas piston on top.

Gas piston cover. Please note this is just a cover, not a tube like on the AK. This cover also has a non removable takedown pin.

Gas piston return spring.

Gas piston at full operational extension. Yes, this is how much it takes to make things work.

Bottom of rifle, showing magazine release and manual bolt hold open button. Note the protected magazine release.

In my hand is the magazine, with the spring loaded nubbin that activates the bolt hold open, which is the flat part sticking out in front of the manual bolt hold open button (with the spring under it).

In these next photos, I'm using a cut up rifle to show how the bolt carrier and bolt work.

The locking lugs on the bolt carrier drop into the slots cut into the guide rails on the receiver.

Four views of the bolt carrier parts.

Inside rear of the bolt carrier. Note the lightening holes.

This shows the retention nub for the striker

This slot allows for striker dis/assembly.

Striker in bolt carrier.

Bolt carrier locked.

Bolt carrier unlocked.

Bolt carrier group ready to fire.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Very cool pics, the internals look very clever and well designed.

·
Registered
193 Posts

it seems that you are the only one with the snarky comments.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts