1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a P-64 and like it for occasional ccw, small and very compact. Got mine for 135 when they became C&R eligible and am thinking of getting another for parts as parts are hard to find for this pistol. The double action is bad but can be helped with a change of springs from Wolff springs : Springs for POLISH Semi-Auto Pistols
The single action is sweet !!!
If you do get one buy from Aim Surplus, they just got a bunch in for 179.99 and they come with 2 magazines and a holster and not the 1 magazine that J&G sales always rips people off and makes them buy the extra magazine for 20 dollars more that should have already been included, J&G is well known for doing this with all there guns :evil::evil:. Here is the Aim Surplus site for the P-64 : Polish Radom P-64 9x18 Pistol
A lot of good information can be found on this site : The Unofficial P-64 Resource
Here is a pic of mine, she is in like new condition.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Cz. The trigger on the P64 is terrible. I own three CZ82's, they are amazingly accuratw and rock solid built. I got new wood grips and some CeraKote to bring them back to life. Can't beat the high capacity.

·
Premium Member
127,151 Posts
I much prefer the CZ 82.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guy. I'm thinking of getting both but picking up the CZ first. On some things I follow the gub'ment way of buying...why buy one when you can have two at twice the price:D

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Have not shot the P64 although would like to try one. Have read the original triggers are terrible but fixable. I have a CZ 82 and truly think they are best value out there in the C&R market. 12 + 1 capacity, ambidextrous manual safety and mag release, polygonal rifling, DA/SA but can be carried cocked and locked and a good shooter too.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I've got one CZ and two P64s (round hammer and triangle hammer). You will need to do the spring change job on the P64, but it is not expensive and quick & easy, even if you are a novice.

Between the two...
Both are excellent, rugged & reliable shooters. Both should be considered close range weapons, as neither has great sights (the CZ are better), nor a great trigger in (first shot) DA; follow up shots for both are much better, and in my experience, comparable. The P64 is slimmer, and a bit more 'concealable' (again, my opinion).

At the price, get both and then spend the ~$20 for the P64's springs. Also, extra mags are a bit cheaper for the P64, IIRC. It has been a while since I bought them.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
6 shots, bad trigger. 13 shots, nice trigger & super accurate polygonal rifling....I know what I choose ;)

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
6 shots, bad trigger. 13 shots, nice trigger & super accurate polygonal rifling....I know what I choose ;)
The P64's "bad trigger" is in DA and even that is easily mitigated with the spring change. I shoot both the CZ and the '64. Once in SA there is no real difference in trigger feel, and both weapons are more accurate than the shooter.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The P64's "bad trigger" is in DA and even that is easily mitigated with the spring change. I shoot both the CZ and the '64. Once in SA there is no real difference in trigger feel, and both weapons are more accurate than the shooter.
I have to greatly disagree. I have owned both. The CZ has a FAR better STOCK DA trigger than any DA revolver/pistol on the market. It is smooth as glass, no stacking, and is lighter than other DA/SA handguns in todays market. It's leaps and bounds above the Polish os which is HEAVY, gritty, and stacks like a mofo. It is simply a nasty trigger nobody wants to practice with. :mad:

SA doesn't mean anything in a defense pistol if you are just going to miss your first DA shot!:shock:

As far as accuracy...you're only as good as your last miss, even if it's from a DA trigger that you care to look past :rolleyes:

Even if I agreed with anything you said (just can't), which basically is saying both pistols are equal (still can't agree), the CZ has double the capacity AND you can buy EVERY SINGLE part & spring as a new replacement from CZ through Midway/Brownells, including sights mag parts, etc...will keep it running for generations

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I have to greatly disagree. I have owned both. The CZ has a FAR better STOCK DA trigger than any DA revolver/pistol on the market. It is smooth as glass, no stacking, and is lighter than other DA/SA handguns in todays market. It's leaps and bounds above the Polish os which is HEAVY, gritty, and stacks like a mofo. It is simply a nasty trigger nobody wants to practice with. :mad:
So, who is disputing this? Is the CZ82 DA better than the P64... sure, even with the spring change. No disagreement. You'll notice more than one person has stated the P64 needs a spring change to improve DA trigger pull. Wolff make a hammer & firing pin set, and recoil spring for the P64. Total cost is roughly $20. Will it make the P64 the same as the CZ82 in DA... no, but it will make the P64 much better than stock. Certainly good enough to hit your target with your first shot at self-defense distance.
SA doesn't mean anything in a defense pistol if you are just going to miss your first DA shot!:shock:

As far as accuracy...you're only as good as your last miss, even if it's from a DA trigger that you care to look past :rolleyes:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here:
"SA doesn't mean anything in a defense pistol if you are just going to miss your first DA shot!"
If SA follow-up shots are not important in a self-defense situation (assuming your DA shot misses the mark), then why worry about capacity greater than one round?

Even if I agreed with anything you said (just can't), which basically is saying both pistols are equal (still can't agree), the CZ has double the capacity AND you can buy EVERY SINGLE part & spring as a new replacement from CZ through Midway/Brownells, including sights mag parts, etc...will keep it running for generations
Who said both pistols are "equal"? There are differences. I like both and both hand guns have their uses. For me, the P64 is more concealable; in my opinion it is more ruggedly built. It is a military-issued weapon. The P64's six-shot capacity doesn't bother me for concealed carry... I can't see myself in a situation where I would need more than six rounds (even with that DA first shot missing the mark! ;)). There are a lot of small, pocket-carry sized handguns today that are lower capacity... my LCP is another six-shot, but I use that as my daily concealed carry. I'm not in an LEO-bad guy or LEO-gangbanger situation. A mugger or strong-arm bandit isn't going to stick around after the first shot and will look for easier prey. If you are in a "shoot 'em up" situation where you need a dozen or more rounds, then any handgun is probably not the best choice of weapon.

There's no dispute that the CZ has more capacity and - as you point out - CZ parts are readily available. I didn't realize that they break down so frequently that replacement parts are a major concern... I haven't had to replace any components on my CZ as yet, but it's nice to know the parts are everywhere. Certainly P64 parts are harder to come by, but are getting more readily available as the P64 gets more popular over here.

As to the OP... I still think he'd be better off getting both weapons since the P64 can be had for ~$160-170 and the CZ82 for ~$210. Even with the cost of new springs, he could still get both weapons for around $400.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
I'd have to agree with jmichna on this; if a carry pistol is what is desired, the smaller dimensions of the P64 trump the CZ82; with the trigger upgrade, DA is managable, and with practice it's not too hard to get accurate first shots off. I know, because I occasionally like to stuff my P64 in a pocket for quick runs out, and I practiced with it...even without upgrading the trigger, it's not that hard--with practice--to get first round hits.

Of course, one does have to practice at it.

Personally, if I was looking at a CZ82 for carry...I'd just as well carry a Glock 19; about the same size, in a much better caliber.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still think I'm gonna get both eventually. I dealt with the bad DA on my wife's S&W Model 36 and it was manageable. May get the CZ first, depends as usual on the financial situation. Again, thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got my P64 today and I've already cleaned and oiled it. I'll try to take it to the range this weekend. The DA is pretty stiff, but manageable but I'll be doing the spring change soon. Here's a bad phone pic for now 'til I take some pics with the camera later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts