Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I am currently deployed in the navy right now. I am the resident gun nut in my division and most people come to me with questions when they are considering a new gun purchase. a shipmate asked me a while back about a CZ75 and I don't now much about them aside from what what I hear on threads. looking at one it looks a lot like an M9 with a shorter receiver and a much more conveniently placed safety. so just so I have something to compare it to
how would you rank the trigger compared to the 92fs/M9?
how would you rate balance(I feel as if the m9 is just a little front heavy)?
how would you rate accuracy?
how would you rate quality/reliability?
how simple would you say it is to field strip/clean?
where are they manufactured?

·
Registered
316 Posts
IMHO there is no contest. The CZ 75 is a far better choice! It is very well balanced,accurate, reliable and very easy to strip & clean. It is the best overlooked gun in its price range.

There are models with a safety or decocker if you prefer.Check out CZUSA for more info & opinions!! :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
IMHO there is no contest. The CZ 75 is a far better choice! It is very well balanced,accurate, reliable and very easy to strip & clean. It is the best overlooked gun in its price range.

There are models with a safety or decocker if you prefer.Check out CZUSA for more info & opinions!! :D
I agree with this.
The 75 is alot of gun for the money and is on my list of guns to own.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok Czech republic...answers the where it's from question

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I like the 92 better. The trigger is great and can be made better by simply adding a hammer spring from the 92DAO model. Takes about 5 minutes tops. Open barrel design prevents many FTE issues.

It's easy to disassemble. Something I'm a little fearful of trying with other pistols.

Back to the trigger. The CZ models have this long trigger reset which I really hate. I guess you could be used to it with practice. On the other hand, the 92 has a very short trigger reset.

EDIT: It is the most accurate pistol I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
My 92FS is the most accurate pistol I own, I wish I had the money to get a 92 Compact, and even more importantly, a 92 Combat. I wouldn't knock the CZ series, I just prefer the Berettas.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Like others have said CZ all the way. The 92 is far too big for what it is. My hands are to small to work the Controls. If I could only choose 1 pistol it would be the P01.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
A few weeks ago I was thinking of getting a CZ Sp-01 or a used Beretta Elite IA. I ended up with the Elite just cause its a rare find and its vertec grip fits my hand, in fact I took some measurements and its only .01-.02 in bigger than my XDM9 with its grit grip mod I did. The CZ is always on the list, but I never seem to get one since I get distracted by others ;)..... Try them both out if you can.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I don't have a generic CZ-75 but I have an SP-01 in 9mm and a 40 Compact which are both broadly similar to the 75, I also have a Beretta 92FS Inox, so I'll do my best here.

hello all,
I am currently deployed in the navy right now. I am the resident gun nut in my division and most people come to me with questions when they are considering a new gun purchase. a shipmate asked me a while back about a CZ75 and I don't now much about them aside from what what I hear on threads. looking at one it looks a lot like an M9 with a shorter receiver and a much more conveniently placed safety. so just so I have something to compare it to
92 has a far superior trigger to the CZs, a CZ has quite a bit of gritty creep before the break BUT the CZ can be tweaked to have an excellent trigger, the 92 with the "D mod" ( which my 92 has ) is nearly as good.
The CZ-75 is probobly better balanced but "nose heavy" is a good thing in firearms as it lends to steadyness.
The shooter will be less acurate than either of these pistols.
Quality is a tie, reliability might be in the 92's favor, but the CZ-75 has been in more military and police services than any other pistol in the world ( although the various glocks models might be catching up ).
Beretta wins that one by a mile against virtually any pistol made today.
You already discovered, Italy and The Czech Republic
Open barrel design prevents many FTE issues.
B.S. from the Beretta media and/or fanboys.
The open barrel DOES lead to more burnt body parts as that exposed barrel gets pretty hot at the range but ejected shell casings get caught between the barrel hood/chamber and breach face, not the front of the ejector port.
If anything that odd linear locking block arrangement probobly makes a much more reliable ejecting/extracting action than the Sig tilting breach design.

Bad points on both are the Beretta slide mounted safety/decocker is a pretty terrible place to put a safety, CZ wins on that, but the CZ-75 has a very small area to grip the slide to cycle the action and is the reason I probobly wouldn't carry it if I was a cop.
You could just advise him to get an older Sig and have one of the best guns ever made with almost no bad points and the best out-of-box trigger ever made for a Service pistol.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
+1 for burnt hands, found out the stupid way today on my elite IA when chamber checking by putting my hands too close over the front serrations :p

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Well first let me say I have never shot a Beretta 92. I never really had the chance to shoot one or the desire to rent one to shoot. So I can't make any sort of comparison. I can however say that the CZ75B is one of the finest pistols I've ever owned and shot in it's price range. It's accuracy is amazing. To me it has a 1911 feel to it. It's fit and finish is very nice and so far it has been flawless during break in, and that is shooting a mixed bag of ammo of reloads, WWB FMJ's and a few different brands of hollow points. When I first got the CZ I was a little concerned about the serations on the slide not being large enough due to the slide being inside the frame. After owning the pistol for a while now those concerns have been put to rest because even with oil soaked hands I've found that it is not a problem racking the slide. It's been said that CZ took the best ideas from many different guns and created the CZ75 which they like to say is the perfect pistol. I won't go that far, but I will say it is one damn fine pistol that could hold a respectable place in anyones collection.
If you ever get the chance to shoot one, just be aware that your probably going to want one for your own in the not to distant future.;)

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
hello all,
I'll start off by saying I have two full size 92FS, a 92FS Compact, three full size CZ 75B, a CZ P-01, a CZ PCR, and one of the all steel CZ 75 Compacts. CZ and Beretta are my favorite brands.

When it comes to the trigger, CZs are known for being a bit on the rough side when new, but it depends on the pistol/batch. Generally speaking, they need roughly 500 rounds to break them in and smooth them out. By the time you reach 1k, they're really nice and smooth. Again, it depends on the pistol/batch. My stainless, P-01 and Compact had nice, smooth triggers. The P-01 trigger was just downright beautiful. As far as weight of pull, I'd say they're about the same. I will say that I've changed all the hammer springs for the 92FSs to the D-spring which made a huge difference, but haven't done that with the CZs. It can be done with the CZs though and I'll eventually get around to it. The compact CZs are used for carry so I prefer to leave them stock.

As for balance, I agree that the muzzle end of the Beretta feels heavier. The CZ is very well balanced, better IMHO than the 92 and is very neutral. I'd say that the CZ wins on this point and the sense of balance is good regardless whether full size or compact.

When it comes to accuracy, I'm good with either, but then again, the 92s had their hammer springs lightened whereas the CZs haven't. The CZ does fit my hand better, but I haven't done a side by side to see which one I'm able to shoot faster accurately. Overall, I'd say they're even in accuracy.

For quality, I'd say they're even. My M9A1 has swirl/machine marks on the front of the slide near the muzzle. The CZ has machine marks on the inside. The one I see/notice is the one on the outside. None affect function, though. I'd say even.

For reliability, I'd say even as well, but a lot of that comes down to the ammunition. I've experienced stovepipes with underpowered cartridges in a 92FS so don't believe all the hype that the open top "eliminates" FTEs or what have you. Bottom line, they're both equally reliable.

I would say that the 92 is easier to field strip, but that's not to say the CZ is hard. For the 92, you just rotate the lever and the slide comes off. For the CZ, you line up the notches, push the slide stop out and the slide comes off. The 92 is easier/faster so I'd say the 92 is better in this respect.

As for cleaning, I'd easily give the nod to the CZ. The CZ is a simpler design and you're able to reach everything that needs to be cleaned. That's not the case for the 92 and the latest locking block as the newer locking block, the Gen 4, doesn't come out as easily. You're used to the M9 (I was an expert marksman on it) locking block just falling out when the muzzle was turned, but that's not the case for the new version. As a result, the pivoting portion and the plunger area are usually ignored when cleaning even though crud gets there. Would it affect function, probably not, but it would be nice to clean the area easily as residue does collect. Point goes to CZ.

For manufacture, CZ are Czech Republic and Beretta is either US or Italy. My 92FS INOX and 92FS Compact are perfect in every way and they're Italian. The M9A1 is US made and had the machine marks. From my experience, the Italian made are better. I will say that the Italian bores in the two pistols and the CX4 (9mm carbine) are more completely done as the chrome further extends out the muzzle. Just easier to keep clean.

Something that wasn't listed was durability and I'd say the nod easily goes to the steel CZs. There are quite a number of reports of people reaching 100k without a catastrophic failure which is pretty good. Just perform regular maintenance and it'll keep going. There were a batch of CZs many years ago, maybe early 2000s, that had trigger springs that didn't last, but that's long gone. As for the aluminum framed CZs, I'd expect the life to be equal to the Beretta.

Something else to consider is that CZs come in more sizes/variations and the equivalent sizes are smaller and usually lighter than the Beretta. What I mean is that my full size CZs are thinner and shorter than the Beretta and lighter depending on the model. Same goes for the Compact. Lastly, CZ has sub-compacts which Beretta does not have in the 92 platform. What's more, the safety mechanism, whether a safety or decocker can be had in any size which means you can practice with a full size and the muscle memory will carry over to the smaller/lighter CC pistol.

Another plus is that the sights on the CZs can be easily changed which isn't easy to do with the 92FS. They can be changed to night sights for CC or larger sights for competition. More options here.

The last thing to consider is how there are more competitors using CZs than Beretta 92s. There must be a reason for that and it is something to consider since it likewise involves accuracy, durability, etc.

As for me, I do well with either, but the CZ fits my hand better. I've tried many brands/models and CZ has been the best for me. With all things being equal (reliability, durability, etc.), it came down to feel and which was better for concealed carry and that's where CZ won for me. The other big one for me has to do with the decocker. With the decocker CZs, you decock the pistol and that's it meaning no safety or anything else. If needing the weapon for self defense, you just pull the trigger and do not have to worry about disengaging a safety or that the safety was accidentally engaged. Even with the CZs with safeties, once the hammer is lowered to DA position, the safety can not be engaged. Honestly, why would you need it if you have a long and relatively heavy DA pull. When it comes to Berettas, the G model is the decocker only model which is very rare and a bit hard to find. The 92FS has the safety that can be engaged even with the hammer lowered. Just one thing less to worry about that can be huge if the pistol is ever needed for defensive purposes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For reliability, I'd say even as well, but a lot of that comes down to the ammunition. I've experienced stovepipes with underpowered cartridges in a 92FS so don't believe all the hype that the open top "eliminates" FTEs or what have you. Bottom line, they're both equally reliable.

You're used to the M9 (I was an expert marksman on it) locking block just falling out when the muzzle was turned, but that's not the case for the new version. As a result, the pivoting portion and the plunger area are usually ignored when cleaning even though crud gets there. Would it affect function, probably not, but it would be nice to clean the area easily as residue does collect. Point goes to CZ.
I wouldn't say I'm used to the M9, I've only held it a couple times. once for my pistol quals(I also shot expert) and a week later when I was helping get my friend used to it because he also wanted to shoot his qual but wasn't comfortable with it. and I have to fully agree that there are FTEs with the 92, people were getting stovepipes left and right when I shot my quals, didn't happen to me luckily but it was pretty bad.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm used to the M9, I've only held it a couple times. once for my pistol quals(I also shot expert) and a week later when I was helping get my friend used to it because he also wanted to shoot his qual but wasn't comfortable with it. and I have to fully agree that there are FTEs with the 92, people were getting stovepipes left and right when I shot my quals, didn't happen to me luckily but it was pretty bad.
I meant to say you rotate the barrel and the locking block would fall out, but you get the idea.

Yeah, I worked for CENTCOM as a contractor and had to qualify with the M9 as it was my standard issue when traveling through Iraq/Afghanistan. I had one of those position where I was a contractor, but had all the requisites/paperwork/approval to get everything/anything the military guys had. On one occasion, I had an SF commander ask if I wanted to sign anything out of their armory rather than the CENTCOM armory. Nice!

The last time I qualified, the recoil spring on the M9 was so weak, I had a failure to go into battery 7/8 times out of every 10 shots every single session. That's a weapons maintenance issue and not the weapon. Still qualified expert; just smacked the back of the slide.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Service M9's are not the best indicator of quality and capability, because unless they're in the armory of a marksmanship training unit or a competition team, they won't be anywhere near what they're supposed to be.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Service M9's are not the best indicator of quality and capability, because unless they're in the armory of a marksmanship training unit or a competition team, they won't be anywhere near what they're supposed to be.
it was at Camp Allen, everyone at the adjacent NATO base, Marines and most of the afloat units at Norfolk use that range for their quals, and they do facilitate all of the training. I would be fairly inclined to believe that this would classify as a marksmanship training unit.
but that's just me, not casting stones or nothing

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Tough call! I think they are very evenly matched! I own a 92FS and have fired a CZ75. You can't go wrong with either I think the only question should be which one first!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts