Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so Snap made me realize that I'm not an "official" gun owner. Problem... I'm a lefty that likes hammers. Also, there is no point "just" to buy another version of the major calibers I already have. That narrows the field significantly.

So I start looking at CZ. I need a 85 for ambi. But then I start thinking of a 10mm. That takes me to EAA... But they are not ambi. There's Rock Island and other 1911s, that would at least make me official.... But again ambi.... And capacity, and not DA/SA...

So.... Is there such a thing as a CZ/clone that's ambi like a 85 in 10mm?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
In 10mm? I don't know.

My EAA Limited in 10mm is ambidextrous for everything but the slide stop. The slide stop is not even that useable for right handers though. You won't be missing out on much.

A fair amount of competitors are ditching the slide stop for the EGW part that is oversized but totally lacks a lever.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Ooohhh, EAA Limited. Gorgeous.

If you don't need 10mm my Sphinx has ambi decockers. If you really want a 10mm the Witness Elite Match is ambi safeties, not sure if you can get a reversed slide stop.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The point with 10mm is, well, I like different. And that would just be a "fun" gun. Nothing I'm going to burn 1000s of rounds through. Good mountain gun to have... Full loads.

So the EAA... the ambi safety would be the important one. The left side slide lock looks much farther forward than normal which makes it much easier for index finger.

What is the deal with decocking a Witness? Seems pretty screwy having to hold the hammer. With my other hammer guns, I could imagine a momentary lapse and having a ND. So there is a version with decocker/safety right? I might be able to look past the non full ambi gun as a fun gun.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooohhh, EAA Limited. Gorgeous.

If you don't need 10mm my Sphinx has ambi decockers. If you really want a 10mm the Witness Elite Match is ambi safeties, not sure if you can get a reversed slide stop.
Well, and to that, the point here would also be not to buy another $1000 gun. If CZ/clones are great guns, and great values... I'm good with that.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Witnesses have both SAO, such as my Witness Elite, and DA/SA like the limited pro. You can get a Limited Pro on Buds for 850, a Witness Elite for 550. I think the Witness Elite is NOT an ambi but you can convert it to one with some CZ parts.

If I were looking for my first CZ platform and wanted an ambi setup I think this is what I'd buy:

CZ-USA 91201 CZ 85 B 16 1 9mm 4.61 527.00 SHIPS FREE

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In 10mm? I don't know.

My EAA Limited in 10mm is ambidextrous for everything but the slide stop. The slide stop is not even that useable for right handers though. You won't be missing out on much.

A fair amount of competitors are ditching the slide stop for the EGW part that is oversized but totally lacks a lever.
What chu talkin bout Willis? What's the EWG part?

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I've seen the swap for right side safety.

So then the safety is just SA? I know they have both looking on their site. And some think it's cool to be able to switch the safety on/off any time, and go condition 1, or hammer down. So then is it the SA/DA that have the decocker/safety... And it acts like regular DA/SA decockers?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
What chu talkin bout Willis? What's the EWG part?
They make a replacement slide stop pin. Supposedly the stock part can bend and/or break when using a comp.

The replacement part totally lacks a lever, it's just a pin, so the slide does not lock back and there is no release. In a competition setting you really don't need it as you would be running 170mm mags that hold 30 something rounds and you rarely run the gun empty.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it, thanks. I found the pin, but thought "that's not what he's talking about". :)

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Proof of concept:

Of course, if you figure in the cost for all the custom work to make a ambi safety CZ 10mm, you're definitely looking at a unicorn gun. Otherwise, I believe the Witness Elite Limited series has an ambi safety.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I'm definitely not getting ambi like I'm used to. Between a 10mm in a 1911 platform, and a CZ platform, I think I'll take the capacity and DA/SA of the CZ platform and give it a shot. A steel frame is must. That pretty much leaves me with a steel witness.

So, if I don't get a ambi safety, I can put one on. The only real question is trigger. Are all Witness DA/SA triggers the same? I do see at some point you get a over travel screw. At what point do I have to go to get a good trigger. I might have to wait a bit, but I don't mind going used either.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Ummm...there's plenty of ambi safety 1911's out there or the simple solution of easily fitting one of your choice to the pistol right?

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Well I'm definitely not getting ambi like I'm used to. Between a 10mm in a 1911 platform, and a CZ platform, I think I'll take the capacity and DA/SA of the CZ platform and give it a shot. A steel frame is must. That pretty much leaves me with a steel witness.

So, if I don't get a ambi safety, I can put one on. The only real question is trigger. Are all Witness DA/SA triggers the same? I do see at some point you get a over travel screw. At what point do I have to go to get a good trigger. I might have to wait a bit, but I don't mind going used either.
Triggers can vary between a genuine CZ and a Witness. CZ offers a decocker and the Omega system. A standard CZ 75/85 configured as safety-only can't be converted to a decocker, and models configured as decocker-only cannot be converted to safety only. The Omega trigger offers the option of switching between the two, and the Witness series, I believe, are all configured as safety only. Personally, if you're looking for a steel CZ, I'd get the CZ 75 Omega. I just picked up the P07, which has the Omega trigger, and it's very good out of the box. I'm going to be getting some CGW love for my P07 though, and there's quite a few options from CGW for the CZ 75 Omega as well.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ummm...there's plenty of ambi safety 1911's out there or the simple solution of easily fitting one of your choice to the pistol right?
Right, I know that. On that part, the 1911 is equal. But if I have to choose, I'll go with capacity.

·
Administrator
16,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Triggers can vary between a genuine CZ and a Witness. CZ offers a decocker and the Omega system. A standard CZ 75/85 configured as safety-only can't be converted to a decocker, and models configured as decocker-only cannot be converted to safety only. The Omega trigger offers the option of switching between the two, and the Witness series, I believe, are all configured as safety only. Personally, if you're looking for a steel CZ, I'd get the CZ 75 Omega. I just picked up the P07, which has the Omega trigger, and it's very good out of the box. I'm going to be getting some CGW love for my P07 though, and there's quite a few options from CGW for the CZ 75 Omega as well.
Well I would get a cz85 out of anything. But I'm sort of stuck on 10mm. I have what I want, and buying more guns isn't on the list right now. Just buying another one isn't a priority. But 10mm would be something different. It would have purpose, and if I don't have to spend a fortune, great. That pretty much leaves me with a Witness, or a RIA Tac II. That's sort of where I'm at, we'll see what happens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts