Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is an easy explanation but the CZ 75 has the appearance of a 1911 yet I don't think it is. Both have a beaver tail and hammer. Look at the field stripped components, very similar. Is a CZ 75 a 1911?

CZ 75

Springfield Mil spec 1911

·
Registered
465 Posts
the CZ is more of a clone of the Hi Power if I remember correctly. With both the Hi power and 1911 being designed by browning it is not a surprise that they would be similar.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Ahhh cmon.. Kinda close. :wink:
Both go boom.

Aside from that, and aside from the way the barrel locks up into the slide like a 1911, nothing really in common.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I'm sure this is an easy explanation but the CZ 75 has the appearance of a 1911 yet I don't think it is. Both have a beaver tail and hammer. Look at the field stripped components, very similar. Is a CZ 75 a 1911?
I sure hope you asked the question for entertainment, rather than educational purposes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what makes a 1911 a 1911? Internals? I see the beaver tail and hammer on every 1911 and other pistols don't have it. I thought the cosmetics were the 1911 distinction. I am asking, I don't know.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The bow trigger single action and the barrel link with upper lugs are what I'd say the most prominent design features.

At the time, most semi automatics, save Liver were simple blowback design chambered in lesser powered rounds. I'm not honestly sure what kind of action the broom handle Mausers used though...

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
So what makes a 1911 a 1911? Internals? I see the beaver tail and hammer on every 1911 and other pistols don't have it. I thought the cosmetics were the 1911 distinction. I am asking, I don't know.
Cosmetics are a part of it, but the action is what distinguishes it from other semi-autos. Its beauty and reliability is in its simplicity. The 1911's that are unreliable are typically the victims of a bubba gunsmith.

If you get an opportunity, shoot both. The difference is night and day, especially for that 1st DA shot from a CZ 75. The CZ 75 is a great gun, but a 1911 it is not.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Never anything wrong with asking questions.

But the best way to really know is go out and buy fine examples of both.

And a Hi Power as well for good measure.

Honestly, the Hi Power is really the most influential semi auto made. Ask Sig, HK, CZ, Smith and Wesson, Glock, Walther, FN, Beretta, HS Produkt...they'll all agree.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for my sarcasm earlier, 8 hours driving a school bus tends to make me grumpy.
That's OK no problem. I was a bit surprised at some comments but you gotta have your big boy pants on here at times! I'm not anywhere as knowledgeable as many here so I asked to learn. My friend loves the CZ 75 BD, we had a discussion about it today, so I was curious and saw the cosmetic similarities and wondered.

I should rent a 1911 at one of the ranges just to see, now way they would have a CZ 75.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Never anything wrong with asking questions.

But the best way to really know is go out and buy fine examples of both.

And a Hi Power as well for good measure.

Honestly, the Hi Power is really the most influential semi auto made. Ask Sig, HK, CZ, Smith and Wesson, Glock, Walther, FN, Beretta, HS Produkt...they'll all agree.
Hmmm. Theoretically, though, would JMB have gone one to design the Hi Power had it not been for his incredible success with the 1911? Not that I'm disagreeing with the influence of the Hi Power, but it's definitely true that JMB's ingenuity changed the world.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
You'd be surprised. First time I shot a CZ-75, it was a rental compact.

I actually shot it better than a Dan Wesson 1911 (Guardian 9mm) both were tack drivers though.

Something to remember though, the 1911 is so copied, quality may vary in comparison to an actual CZ-75 (also copied heavily, but still a fraction of the 1911s available)

Both are freaking awesome though.

I can't recall ever getting to shoot a Hi Power or clone though :(

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Hmmm. Theoretically, though, would JMB have gone one to design the Hi Power had it not been for his incredible success with the 1911? Not that I'm disagreeing with the influence of the Hi Power, but it's definitely true that JMB's ingenuity changed the world.
He had a healthy string of success before and after the 1911 prior to the Hi Power. Seems the man just had a love for what he was doing.

If we really wanna speculate, what would he have done with polymer!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I grew up wing shooting pheasants and plinking with a .22 rifle. At 14-15 I shot a deer with a .270 rifle. I began shooting pistols in my teens and cut my teeth courtesy of Uncle Sam with an M9. In civilian life, I tried polymer pistols and began shooting for pleasure and situational shooting. This pushed me to a desire to shoot more guns, more often.

In the last 2 years I've added a Sig 226, a CZ, several 1911's, a Hi-Power, and countless polymer pistols. I've learned more by shooting, stripping, and shooting them again than I could have ever imagined. Appreciation comes from understanding.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Two different and very good firearms. I'll take the CZ myself, it amazes me how accurate it is in my hands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts